King Post roof struts.. can I modify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mid terrace house some 8m front to back.
Has a single king post truss in middle with side stuts.. I am boarding out the loft for storage with no plans to convert (others have done in the same row) but want to be able to get to other side of loft without stepping over the strut.
Is is practical/possible to change the strut eg replace with 2 struts? - mark blue on image (please ignore sizes)

Attachments

• Inkedstruts_LI.jpg
    Inkedstruts_LI.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 995
Sponsored Links
That seems to be how many loft conversion are done, but a structural engineer’s input would be needed as well as building regulation approval to ensure a safe design. The fact that your neighbours have had it done doesn’t mean yours would automatically be OK, for example different roof coverings and location of load bearing walls.

So sensible to get an expert in.

Blup

:cautious: I don't know that is the way some loft conversions are done :!: I would say it is doubtful what you are showing is structurally sound, but as others say you need a structural engineer to provide a design and calculations for bldg. regs approval.

It seems commonplace for dwarf walls (with vertical struts) and raised collars to replace struts that support purlins, as part of loft conversions. There is clearly more to it than that, and you wouldn't do it on one side only with the "design" shown by the OP, hence the need for proper input from professionals.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The central post is in tension supported off the ridge, and the two diagonals are in compression supporting the rafters off that Central point.
At the moment the bottom chord is in tension tying the rafter feet together, and also holding the ceiling up. This is a very stable situation with mostly tension and compression.
By moving the rafter support you are adding a large load from the rafters into a mid span of the joists. This means they might need beefing up significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back