kitchen cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to put lights under my kitchen units, can i run them from the switch that turns on my kitchen light? but put in a double switch so they can work independant of each other

Marty

Sponsored Links
A bit harsh, breezer. The answer is that, yes you could control them from the same switch position, but only if you can add them to the same circuit and install the necessary wiring. It will involve the lifting of floorboards and the chasing out of walls to do this.

If you can read, understand and follow the 'For reference' post at the top of this forum then you can do it. If you can't I refer you to Breezer's previous answer.

marty said:
I want to put lights under my kitchen units, can i run them from the switch that turns on my kitchen light? but put in a double switch so they can work independant of each other

that's how mine work and mine is not a DIY installation. can't see the problem.

Sponsored Links
bobb said:

Never said it was a problem, but it's not as straightforward as swapping a one-gang switch for a two-gang, which is what marty was asking.

bobb said:
marty said:

he never mentioned the layout. the new light mite be at the other sid eof the kitchen

for what its worth:

its not uncommon for people to come onto this forum and post a question, unfortunately they have no idea what they are talking about (which is why they ask) BUT they only give vague information which is why i reply with strait answers, as in marty's case, also marty wont be back since marty posted over a week ago, bit long to wait isn't it?

Breezer,how much info can one give about kitchen lights if they do not possess a knowledge of house wiring.

they could say what type of lights they want (as seen at xyz shed) ,how many lights they want,(a kit comes with x lights can i add more) low voltage, mains (as shown on the box) coloured lights, colour changing lights (they do exist) post a link etc etc

I may seem harsh, but as i previously said, people come on this forum, give no / little / vague/ information and expect to be told how to do it, right down to the last screw.

Unless the poster says what they want to achieve how can we help?

in the plumbing forum they had a similar problem, people would say "my boiler doesnt work, and baby is cold, please help"

again they expect a word perfect answer with out giving the correct information. (so i posted a please read this, which people are nowstarting to do) , there is also a similar one in forum information, but that is not often read

Unfortunatley electrical work is so vast / varied its not easy to say if you want lights please state where they are for, type voltage etc etc, as you would have to do this for everything electrical

Hi All
Yes I check this forum almost daily, being a tradesman I find it helpful with certain things.

But ref my lights I have 1 switch in the kitchen that turns on the ceiling light all I wanted to know was can I have lights under my kitchen unit that will also come from the same point but have 2 switch's instead of 1, so 1 turns on the ceiling light and the other turns on the unit lights.

But I now know it can be done as the last 6 kitchens I have worked all have that set up just needed to know how easy it would be for me to do

Marty

I would find a live feed from somewhere: your ceiling light, perhaps. Send that to the new switch in your new double switches, then from there to your kitchen unit lights. Easy peasy. It might/will involve lifting floorboards upstairs to get a live feed, channeling out plaster to send the (1.5mm²) cable to the new switch and where you want the kitchen unit lights to be.

I have seen where a little bit of red cable is strapped across from the live feed in one switch to provide a live feed into the other switch. You would still need to channel out plaster to get to where you wanted the new lights to be though. I am not an expert (just a damn good amateur) so maybe someone who is QUALIFIED and knows the regs could confirm this would be OK.

The kitchen unit lights I got seemed to assume I was going to run them from a plug (with a 5A fuse). Clumsy and unsightly but very simple.

The Neighbour of The Beast, 665

marty said:
Hi All
Yes I check this forum almost daily, being a tradesman I find it helpful with certain things.

Well do what I told you to do a week ago and read the 'for reference' post then.

If you don't understand how electrical circuits work (and from what you've asked, you don't) then you won't be able to follow notb665's answer anyway, but he's right in repeating that you will have to do some chasing, board lifting, etc in order to install the extra cabling that is needed.

As for qualified advice, I am a qualified electrician and although there is nothing wrong with linking a live feed across two switches you still have to get your neutral from somewhere. If you understood how circuits work you would already know this. I come across dangerous inteference with installations done by amateurs every day - especially kitchen fitters. There is no acceptable substitute for doing it properly and safely; if you can't then you really have no business doing it at all. I hope you also realise that, after 1st January 2005, all electrical work in kitchens will be notifiable to building control and that you act accordingly. (Although I suspect that, like the majority, that you won't.)

bobb said:
Yes, but do you understand how they are wired up?

If you do, then you should see that the problem is/was that Marty doesn't/didn't know, or he wouldn't have asked the question, he'd have known what to do, and got on with it.

I do agree though, that Breezer's reply was a bit harsh and uncompromising - he could have explained the basis of what was needed (find the lighting circuit cable, 4-way JB, new switch cable, pointed out that lifting of floors or dropping of ceilings might well be needed, as would chasing the wall) and referred Marty to the For Reference section.

My guess is that Marty did not know how much was involved in doing it, but I have no reason to think that he couldn't do it....

I understand from dingbat there is nothing wrong with linking a live feed across two switches but you still have to get your neutral from somewhere.

Could someone in the know or rather the trade give me examples were I can take the neutral from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back