Kitchen Design, could do with an opinion on my layout.

As you say if the customer does not like it, they are free to go elsewhere!

And pay more accordingly for not necessarily any better a service.

attending properties where the client is not allowing any flexibility

We get it with tenants all the time. No flexibility for the annual gas safety check, which is compulsory for the landlord and in the tenant's own best interests. However, it is amazing how quick a morning off, or an early afternoon finish at work can be arranged when there is no heating or hot water. Yes it is a service industry. But most customer facing companies have opening hours.

Does make me chuckle sometimes.

Got half a dozen voicemails to reply to this morning from people that have left messages asking me to respond to emails sent following a phone call. A phone call that included me telling them I was in college all week and would reply when I'm in the office Friday or Saturday.

Sponsored Links
Got half a dozen voicemails to reply to this morning from people that have left messages asking me to respond to emails sent following a phone call. A phone call that included me telling them I was in college all week and would reply when I'm in the office Friday or Saturday.

You're a bit of a smart arze for an apprentice. :LOL::mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Wicks or B&Q or other kitchen planners, they are far more helpful chaps and can not only advise you on layout and will also know all about plumbing, drainage and electrical requirements including gas connection requirements.
Are you sure about that ? Aren't they mostly sales people who just want to sell as much as they can. I doubt if there are many who have the necessary qualification or experience to give advice on electrics and plumbing. If they did have that ampount of knowlwedge they would be worikng as elecricians or plumbers and probably earning a lot more than then do as sales people.
I meant basic layout advise, and that includes things like where you should have your sink, where is an ideal place for a cooker, fridge freezer, etc etc, not how to lay gas pipes and fix boilers, and their CAD programme has built in rule checker like you cannot have a boiler fitted close to an opening like door or a window etc.

However, I could also suggest him to go on line and use freely available software to design his own kitchen and even those free kitchen design software has certain rules that would warn you regarding positioning an item in a wrong place, like sinks, for example you cannot have a cooker in front of a window, as you won't be able to fit an extractor fan and so on.

Personally I would not recommend built in oven in that corner, it would look odd. But who knows it might actually look brilliant, then again the wasted space is the thing and unless it could be utilised for something like has been suggested above.

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't know how to start a thread. Looking for advice re a new kitchen quote. The work to be done is - remove old kitchen + disposal of it (7 units). Supply and fit new 7 unit Howdens Glendevon kitchen. Some carpentry work - put together a shelving type unit to hide pipework. No plumbing or electrical work. Same layout.

The price is £3500. I know it's steep but by how much?

Last edited:
You can start a new thread by going into main heading at the top "FORUMS"

then choose an appropriate section for your question like for example this post you made is in "Plumbing and Central Heating section" why I don't know, I can't figure that one out! (lol)

the once you are in any section, look at the top left it says "Post New Thread"

as for your question it is hard to say if the price is too high, but you do have supply and install 7 new units, worktops, all that drilling and cutting to fit kitchen sinks and hob, and disposal of old kitchen, so may be it is about right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back