Kitchen Downlight Advice Needed (Spacing & Brightness)

nice wall uplighters and a central fitting over the table in the dining area, and a couple of surface lights in the kitchen area with under cabinet spots for "mood" lighting when you're sat down for dinner..

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. We've had an electrician come in to look at it all, who we're going to go with to get the work done, who is Part P certified etc.

We're getting the first fix done this week in order for us to get the ceiling up this weekend, then will look at the options available for the right bulbs. This may be trial and error, as I'm keen to try LED but may resort to CFL based on light spread and colour temp.

When its done I'll try and get some pictures up in the Projects section so you can see the results.

will look at the options available for the right bulbs. This may be trial and error, as I'm keen to try LED but may resort to CFL based on light spread and colour temp.
I'll have one final attempt.

There are no "right bulbs".

ELV/LV, halogen/CFL/LED - none of it makes any difference - the problem is the fundamental design of the light fittings, not what you put in them.

Sponsored Links
The sound isn't so much people walking about, but the sound of things entering the w/c with velocity!
That is probably higher frequency sound which is likely to be coming through a hole or gap somewhere. If there are any gaps around pipes etc., seal them up.
To assist with locating where the sound is coming through, get a hosepipe and jam it under the toilet lid so that it trickles directly into the water. Then go downstairs and see where the noise is loudest.

Boxes around the lights will be very difficult as no access from above, they really need to be sealed to the back of the ceiling for best effect.
Make sure the lights are enclosed at the back (those linked to earlier seem to be), or ones like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/72064/
(you can fit the CFL and LED lamps in those)

Lamp types are basically:
Halogen - switch on instantly, use vast amounts of energy, get very hot and don't last long.

CFL - last 10x longer, use 80% less energy. Don't get anywhere near as hot, although some space for ventilation is needed. Take up to a minute to reach full brightness, so no good if switched often.
Some examples:
http://www.nationallampsandcomponen...gy-Saving-Light-Bulbs/Megaman-CFL-GU10/34/278

LED - instant on (even faster than halogen), use even less energy than CFLs, practially cold in operation. Lasts for ever. Available in any colour you want, even ones that change colour. Decent ones are very expensive. Cheap ones are useless. Some examples:
http://www.nationallampsandcomponen...hting/Philips-MASTER-LED-Lamps/29/426[/QUOTE]

Cheers for all the advice everyone. :D

I logged on for some spacing advice and found I had walked into a minefield. :eek:

Have cancelled my order for 12v 50w downlighters from screwfix and ordered 240volt 35watt as above with the option to repace the bulb to leds at a later date.

Ceiling plan is excellent , thanks. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back