Kitchen electrics - 2 ovens and more

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently redoing our kitchen. I have got an electrician in so I am not doing any of the following work. It's just to check really as looking online seems it's not correct.

Layout is: Double socket number 1 loops out and feeds double socket number 2, loops onto hob socket,this spurs to a double socket and also onto extractor socket.

We are having 2 single oven (2.85kw each, 13A plug in). They are saying these are both ok to be plugged into double socket number 1 and used at the same time. have

They have removed/cut the existing cooker cable, so no longer in use. Should this have been used to feed a socket for the 2 single ovens?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, i would have used the existing cooker cable to supply a double socket for the ovens. Your and more....... on one ring with the ovens, may be pushing it !

John

Much appreciated for the response. I am no electrician. But it didn't seem right to me. So the cooker cable feeding the double socket for 2 single ovens, then hob and extractor, and the other double sockets off the normal ring main be ok?

We are having 2 single oven (2.85kw each, 13A plug in). They are saying these are both ok to be plugged into double socket number 1 and used at the same time.
I think that many would say that that was not really advisable. If they must be 'plugged in', things would be better if you had two single sockets, rather than one double.

However, to have two ovens running off a single kitchen ring circuit (if that's what you are talking about) is really not a very clever idea, either, since they alone would use most of the available power. What else is likely to be supplied by that circuit - any other 'machines'?

Kind Regards, John

I think that many would say that that was not really advisable. If they must be 'plugged in', things would be better if you had two single sockets, rather than one double.

However, to have two ovens running off a single kitchen ring circuit (if that's what you are talking about) is really not a very clever idea, either, since they alone would use most of the available power. What else is likely to be supplied by that circuit - any other 'machines'?

Kind Regards, John

Everything would be supplied by the same kitchen ring circuit. Maybe just a toaster and a slow cooker which wouldn't be on at same time as ovens. The hob socket and extractor also.
We wouldn't have anymore machines as fridge and water boiler is the other side of the room which is a different circuit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Everything would be supplied by the same kitchen ring circuit. Maybe just a toaster and a slow cooker which wouldn't be on at same time as ovens. The hob socket and extractor also. We wouldn't have anymore machines as fridge and water boiler is the other side of the room which is a different circuit. Thanks
Fair enough, but the first bit of what I said still stands - that, no matter what circuit is involved (and whatever else is supplied by that circuit) many people would say that to have two large loads (like ovens) supplied from one double socket is not a very good idea, and that it would be better to have two single sockets (right next to one another if you wanted).

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but the first bit of what I said still stands - that, no matter what circuit is involved (and whatever else is supplied by that circuit) many people would say that to have two large loads (like ovens) supplied from one double socket is not a very good idea, and that it would be better to have two single sockets (right next to one another if you wanted).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. Would the best way be to have the old cooker cable feed a box? and then have 2 feeds off this to 2 single sockets?

Or alter the wiring from the double socket to 2 singles? But the ovens would then stil be running off the same circuit?

I have gone through this with the electrician and he is still saying it's fine to have both ovens off a double socket.

Thanks. Would the best way be to have the old cooker cable feed a box? and then have 2 feeds off this to 2 single sockets? Or alter the wiring from the double socket to 2 singles? But the ovens would then stil be running off the same circuit?
I have gone through this with the electrician and he is still saying it's fine to have both ovens off a double socket.
It theoretically ought to be OK.

However, there is a lot of discussion about how much load a double socket can take without being at risk of overheating and thereby damaged. Whilst a single socket can usually tolerate 13A without problems, there is less certainty that a double socket can tolerate 26A (i.e. 2 x 13A) - many people think that the 'maximum' for a double socket is 20A, and that is partially supported by the fact that the 'temperature rise test' specified in the relevant Standard (BS1363) only requires the test to be passed with a total of 20A.

Countless people are feeding two 'big' appliances off a double socket, and do so without problems for years. However, there are also some examples of double sockets getting damaged by heat in that situation. Hence, if you have the choice, it would seemingly make sense to 'play safe' and have two single sockets. "Altering the wiring from a double socket to 2 singles" would be the best way to do it.

Kind Regards, John

It theoretically ought to be OK.

However, there is a lot of discussion about how much load a double socket can take without being at risk of overheating and thereby damaged. Whilst a single socket can usually tolerate 13A without problems, there is less certainty that a double socket can tolerate 26A (i.e. 2 x 13A) - many people think that the 'maximum' for a double socket is 20A, and that is partially supported by the fact that the 'temperature rise test' specified in the relevant Standard (BS1363) only requires the test to be passed with a total of 20A.

Countless people are feeding two 'big' appliances off a double socket, and do so without problems for years. However, there are also some examples of double sockets getting damaged by heat in that situation. Hence, if you have the choice, it would seemingly make sense to 'play safe' and have two single sockets. "Altering the wiring from a double socket to 2 singles" would be the best way to do it.

Kind Regards, John

I will go through it again with the electrician when they come back.

It seem daft while we are doing the kitchen for them to maybe cut corners and then when come to use both ovens at same time it trips or sn't a worse.This isn't just an 'odd jobber electrician' either, got quite a few lads/teams, VAT Registered etc.

You're paying for this, I guess?

If so, tell him what you'd like him to fit. It's no big deal to him.

But if you can use the cooker circuit for the cookers and hob, that would be great.

You're paying for this, I guess?

If so, tell him what you'd like him to fit. It's no big deal to him.

But if you can use the cooker circuit for the cookers and hob, that would be great.

Definitely paying! The hob will be a gas hob but obviously needs a socket for the plug/spark to light. Would this need to come off the cooker circuit too? Or fine off the socket ring?

We have mentioned it a few times, the quote does say 'alter wiring for 2 ovens' but nothing has been altered, just old cooker cable cut and a cable put in for extractor.

Main reason for asking was to gather if it was safe for everything to be off the socket ring and to gain some info to go back to him with.

As it stands the 2 ovens are off the socket ring., Plus a double socket, then hob socket, extractor socket and a further 2 double sockets.
Does the below sound what it should be:
cooker cable moved to supply 2 single sockets for 2 ovens.
Socket main feeding double socket, hob socket, extractor and 2 further doubles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back