kitchen extract

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was an error involving a child, the shower hose and the kitchen ceiling below the bathroom falling in. :rolleyes:

Well... it didn't all fall in, but I've now pulled the rest down. Victorian house, so bye bye lath and plaster, hello thermal wallboard.

I got to thinking, right: install an extract while the ceiling is down.

First question is, if the ceiling falls down and gets replaced does it need an extract because it's classed as a kitchen refurb, and so BCO involved as notifiable work?

OR...

is it just a repair, as if the ceiling falls down and gets replaced, is that not classed as a refurb, and therefore an extract might not be needed?

Question 2 If I go for the extract, there are two options - what's the right one?

1) Use the chimney that's already there but nothing connected to it and extract through the capped off paving slab at the top. BUT....unheated, so condensation trap, insulation, getting on the roof, terminus would be exposed to rain...urghhh..

2)Run a duct with a 90 degree bend to take fume horizontally from above the cooker directly to the external wall. Looks tight (water pipes, + soil stack on the outside), but some 4" pipe might fit and at least soil pipe not involved in any sort of connection to my kitchen. Presumably wouldn't need insulation as it's in a floor void, and therefore condensation not a problem as not cold and besides total run is about 500 mm up, 1000 mm across). Would the duct need to be run with a slight drop of say 3 degrees so any condensate runs out to the cowl or in a kitchen do you just not care coz it won't be a problem?

So, do I need to worry about extract in my circumstances, and is there any advantage in going up instead of across...

Would be a pro. doing the job -I'm just working out what to ask for.

Leigh.

Sponsored Links
Regardless of requirements, if you have a kitchen without an extractor and have the opportunity to install one, get one fitted.
Cooking is a primary cause of moisture which causes condensation / damp / mould in properties.

Option 1 - no use. Getting a duct through the manky old chimney will be rather difficult, and certainly expensive. If you don't fit a liner/duct, condensation will form in the chimney, causing damp issues in the room(s) upstairs. The chimney interior will be filthy, and you will get disgusting dirty water dripping out of the extractor directly above your cooker.

Option 2 is ok. A slight drop would be useful, but not essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back