Can kitchen + Bathroom extraction go to same outlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect up my kitchen extraction to the outside. At the moment there is a pipe that comes from the bathroom and runs across the kitchen ceiling and out to the outside wall. Would it be ok to connect up the kitchen extraction to the same outlet?

Thanks

EDIT: I realise this might not be a strictly electrics question, would it be best asked elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
I'm not an HVAC expert, and I don't know were the best source on this site is, but an immediate concern I have is fumes from the toilet getting into the kitchen....

I assume the pipe from the bathroom is extract and not a soil vent pipe?

If it is an extract pipe extract then you can do what you want but you'll need to put backdraft flaps in the two sides. That is so bathroom smells and steam doesn't get to the kitchen and fried onion smells don't go to the bathroom.

Its preferable to have separate pipes, for obvious reasons.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. The pipe from the bathroom is an extract pipe so should be ok if I use backdraft flaps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
At a shop I used to work at, the toilet, canteen and office had identical extract fans in the ceilings, connected and vented together, presumably using backdraft flaps.

The office and canteen fans were never used (too loud) and when someone did a dirty big smelly **** in the toilet, you could smell it in the canteen. I wouldnt trust backdraft flaps.

I knew a guy once who was on a flight from Glasgow to Belfast. Quite a small plane.

He'd been out for a curry the night before, and on the flight it started making a bid for freedom. So he went off to the toilet.

When he came out, everyone else was glaring at him - several passengers were covering their noses with napkins, handkerchiefs etc, and one of the stewardesses was walking up and down the aisle spraying an air freshener.... :evil:

I'm also wanting to extract both bathroom and kitchen through one outlet in the roof and wondering about the best way to do it. I was thinking if the pipes were kept separate up until the exit point, then combined, this would work better than one pipe running past the other room (and also use backdraft shutters).

Would also like to do this with one fan if possible, but I can't see how (without extracting from both rooms when only one was required) without some system of motorised backdraft shutters . . . :confused:

Oh yeah, would also be nice if I could recover the heat from the extraction ducts - anyone got any good links?

MODS - can we have a HVAC forum please!? :idea:

Would also like to do this with one fan if possible, but I can't see how (without extracting from both rooms when only one was required) without some system of motorised backdraft shutters . . . :confused:

Although you can get motorised shutters (dampers with electric actuators), it would be an expensive affair just to avoid making two holes in your roof!

Running a single extract fan for both rooms all the time WILL work and work properly, as it removes any chance of foul smells moving between rooms. The air pressure in the ductwork up to the fan will be negative all the time.

Oh yeah, would also be nice if I could recover the heat from the extraction ducts - anyone got any good links?

Try 'heat recovery unit' on google UK?

electric actuators), it would be an expensive affair just to avoid making two holes in your roof!
Yeah was thinking that :(

Running a single extract fan for both rooms all the time WILL work and work properly, as it removes any chance of foul smells moving between rooms. The air pressure in the ductwork up to the fan will be negative all the time.
But presumably only around half the extraction capability of the fan from each room, thus requiring a larger fan and wasting energy by extracting fromt the 'other' room when not required :confused:

Try 'heat recovery unit' on google UK?
Allow me to re-phrase: anyone got any advice on, experience of, or recommendations for heat recovery units?

See also post on condensation which needs to be taken into account as you end up with hot and cold pipes being joined together.

@ skenk

I don't know if you into micro-energy saving, but the cost of running a larger fan for 5- 10 mins is..........pretty small.

That apart, very few people will actually"optimise" the size of their fan. It will usually be a case of

1) In stock
2) Right sort of price
3) Roughly ( upside ) volume of extraction needed.

One way of looking at a fan is to think of it as an air pump.

Now I know that with liquid pumps there are significant differences between those which push and those which suck - does the same apply to fans?

Can you get ones for domestic use which will successfully suck air along several m of ducting?

Many commercial installations for central extraction in hotels, canopy extraction in kitchens, intake/extract in restaurants etc all have the fan at the end of the duct just before it exits the building, or even externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back