kitchen fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House is 1907 to 1920.
Stripping wallpaper from chimney breast / fireplace in the kitchen

Its opening is very low down with the kitchen worktop under it.

See pic #1
20200914_212050.jpg

There's 3 layers here:
1) lime plaster / yellow distemper near the top
2) pink paint
3) some sort of white easy fill plaster

There's 2x lumps of wood - sawn end pieces of something, with a black layer.
This black layer runs horizontally around the wood, in the middle and across the breast between the white and pink
20200914_212952.jpg

When I sponged the last layer of wallpaper, a darker shape like a 2x4 appeared.

Not sure if this is the remnants of original kitchen cabinets, or, evidence that a far larger firepace opening has been reduced in size, in a previous round of "modernisation"

I guess the best way to check is unblock it and get a camera up there, or, knock render off and explore.

Thoughts? Does this look like its been made smaller?

Ideal world situation would be it has been reduced in size, which we undo, and whack an oven and hob in there...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the only way to know for certain is to take the plaster off and see what you have. Good chance it is a larger opening.

I had a wall mounted gas fire in my kitchen where the previous bricked up open coal fire had been and this in turn was in the bricked up opening from the original kitchen range. I opened it up to the original lintol and fitted a hob and oven and a couple of 300mm units either side in the space and formed an arch over with a passivent installed in the old flue.
I think yours may be similar.

he previous bricked up open coal fire had been and this in turn was in the bricked up opening from the original kitchen range. I
This is what I hope we have. Gonna have to investigate...

Sponsored Links
I'm supposed to be decorating, and wifey is a hard boss, however, couldn't resist a little dig.

Found a very hard, shiny slab. I am hoping its a lintel.
I wet polished the mortar off, so the stone has some yellow colour in it.

I cant scrach it with a screwdriver. It's certainly not brick.

As I expose more I'll update the thread. However, I have a room to finish

20200916_103714.jpg
20200916_103734.jpg

Ive exposed more heading right , and found brick. Its the very soft original red brick
20200916_173436.jpg

In the hope of finding the original lintel, what direction should I dig? Down?

I also dug under the lowest white bar (see pics at start of thread). It appears to be a laminate board blocking the chimney. I hope its not structural...

So I am guessing this cannot be structural? Or can it?

20200916_172331.jpg

Wifey is unimpressed. Instead of filling holes I am making them. However, if I can expose evidence of a larger opening, all will be good.

It's little different in effort to patch a big area or a small area. Get that plaster off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back