Kitchen floor and kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

The chipboard flooring in my kitchen needs to be replaced due to flooding. The Howden kitchen base units that sit on top of the chipboard flooring including laminate worktop / sink etc will need to be pulled out so the floor can be replaced. My question is how likely is that the units extra can be put back in ok once the floor is replaced?

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't really be a problem. You'll end up playing silly buggers adjusting the legs to get everything back to the right height, and it may be sensible to knock off the grouting below the tiles before everything goes back, but that should be all. I take it you're going to be using P5 Chipboard next time.

Use plywood for the replacement. P5 resists water/damp, it will go the same way if the damp is long term, like a leak can be.

Sponsored Links
The joints on the worktop will be the question mark. if they have aluminium jointing strips, then no problems, but if they've been mitred, then a good joiner will have used a waterproof glue, and that won't part company cleanly.

One way of joining worksurface sections is to use three biscuits glued in the edges and two inserted screw clamps. So look at the underneath of any joints and remove the clamps by undoing the long hexagonal nuts. Then try wiggling thhe joints if you are lucky the biscuits will crack or at least become loose. If not especially if the whole joint is glued then the joint should be almost cut through from underneath. Hopefully the bits will part with out damaging the top surface.
Frank

You might be able to wind in the screw height adjusters on the cabinet legs to drop the cabinets and pull them out, leaving the worktop attached to the wall (and prop it up temporarily).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back