Kitchen floor problem

j03

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to start doing my kitchen but have a bit of a problem with the floor which I plan to tile. The kitchen has a little coal shed on the end of it that was extended into before I moved in. Everythings fine in it apart from the floor of it which had shifted so much that the concrete screed they put in when doing it had raised and cracked meaning there was a little step into it.

Last weekend I got all of the concrete up expecting to find enough space to put a DPM sheet and new screed down. The trouble is the floor is so uneven that the back of it is 50mm deep and the front adjoining the kitchen is between 10-25mm deep (total area of it is 1800x1200mm).

A friend said that a screed will just break again because it would be so thin (ideally 75mm he said) so he suggested using a thick mixture of latex levelling compound and trowel it all to the right depth etc.

Does nyone have any experience of doing this at all? Any precautions about doing it this way or any recommendations about doing it another way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What does the floor consist of that you propose to lay the levelling compound on? Might be one for mattysupra this.

It looks like foundations to me but then I know not a lot. There are two bits of concrete (with a bit of a red colour to them) separated by a row of brickes in the middle, the left bit of concrete is really uneven and has a layer of grey concrete over it. This was under the screed when I broke the screed up. There's also an old capped off waste too.

I found something from a couple of online shops that is a concrete levelling compound that can be laid at 50mm thick, just not sure if they would break up like a screed though.

Here are the links, not sure if I can post em, sorry ops if not:

http://www.floorheating.ltd.uk/levelling-compound.php

http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/product/198/mira-x-plan-self-levelling-compound-25-kg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back