Kitchen flue leaking - roof or condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a top floor flat and the building has a flat roof. The kitchen hood and bathroom extractor fan flues both go straight up through the roof. Last year around November water started dripping down the outside of both the kitchen hood flue (soaking wooden cabinets) and from where the bathroom extractor comes into the flat. Photos from the roof and of the water damage attached.

The building management deemed it to be a leak and fixed by applying a "raised fillet upstand around each vent using the Fix-R primer, membrane and liquid." They also changed all vents to double downward facing.

This appeared to work for a while but it was over Summer so difficult to tell. Now it's November and water has started dripping down again. I notice that there hasn't actually been much rain recently; however, the temperature outside has dropped considerably. Now I'm wondering whether this really is a leak. Could the water be from condensation for example? The flue is all boxed in so I'm not able to see it. I don't even know who to call to fix it, whether is a roof issue or venting issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_1094.JPG
    DSC_1094.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 302
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 267
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
Your question is almost impossible to answer on here - you need a site visit to have the roof water tested and the flues expertly examined for condensing moisture etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back