Kitchen Island Extractor - powering it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm installing a ceiling mounted Island Extractor which comes with a 3pin plug. Just thinking about the best way to wire it up.

What I dont want to do is just connect it to a socket as...

1. the only socket it would reach would be one in the bedroom above
2. a socket added to the circuit next to the extractor in the ceiling void wouldnt exactly be easy to access.

So, I'm thinking that I should:

a. Install a labelled fused isolator DP switch in the kitchen - Next to the C.U. at eye level. (Avoids having to do any chasing etc).

b. Run 2C+E cable (1.5mm) from the isolator up into the ceiling void and connect to the terminals in the back of the fan housing.

Seems a sensible way of being able to turn the unit off/on for maintenance, cleaning etc.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Just on my way home will confirm when I've had a look.... thx

Heh, this is something i have wondered myself, surely if the island is 2 metres from any wall, the only place you can put the isolator is in the island itself, so the supply would have to go from the island, into the floor, up the wall, into the ceiling! This is how i'd do it anyway, if only just for the fun! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
In my ex house there was an x-fan in the kitchen and the cable went up over into the ceiling and came out into the bedroom above then pluged into the wall socket ( only single socket )

Crafty said:
..., the only place you can put the isolator is in the island itself...

p1450680_l.jpg

JohnD, not exactly elegant to have hanging over the cooker is it? Are they available in chrome? :LOL:

of course. But if your ceiling is painted white, then a white switch will be less visually intrusive.

If it is an isolator not frequently used, you could have quite a short cord that is above head height.

When we find out the power rating we will know if it can go on the lighting circuit. I bet it can. Then you could functionally control it with the over-island spotlights switch.

IIRC, if the isolator is more than 2m from the appliance, you just have to have a permanent and legible label on it. Good practice in a commercial kitchen anyway.

Firstly apologies for the delay in the response.

The fuse in the plug is 13A. So that kind of rules out wiring it in to the lighting circuit!

I really don't like the idea of plugging it in to a socket in the bedroom above, that sounds like a cop-out!

I have to say the pullcord is a route I'd prefer not to go down, just cos its not going to look very pretty. The ceiling height is approx 220cm (cottage kitchen). Could a switched fused spur be mounted onto the ceiling via a flush-mounted plasterboard box or is the height an issue?

Otherwise, if I wall mount it, can I place the isolating switch up high, on the wall just below ceiling height? I want to avoid chasing out my nice new plasterwork!

thanks!! :D

hmm All the appliance came with was an installation booklet, can't find anything referring to the rating. Nor is there a sticker or anything obvious on the fan itself. I can open the cover and take a look at the transformer would that suffice?

there ought to be a makers plate on the back (or possibly text moulded into the plastic cover).

Most extractors are less than 3 amp.

Heres what it says on the transformer:

PRI: 220-240VAC 50/60hz 0.25A
SEC: 11.5VAC 20-60VA eff. 5A Max

5A then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back