Retro fitting kitchen island power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I'm after some advice on the best way to go with this. Sadly, when we had a big extension and kitchen fitted a few years ago, I didn't get power sockets fitted into the island. Big mistake! I'm now trying to see how easy/hard it would be to retrofit power to the island.

I briefly asked an electrician, a few months back, who seems to think it would be really difficult to do and would cause all kinds of damage to the walls and floor, etc. Is this right, or do you think he just didn't fancy the job?!?!?!

Another option I've thought of is to just run an extension cable under the kitchen flooring and into the island. I'm handy enough to be able to make a decent job of that, or is this a no-no?!?!?

Thanks for any pointers

Cheers

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/kitchen-island-power.581686/#ixzz7CwelhhoF

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying. In terms of the extension cable I meant literally plug in an extension cable to a wall socket in the island, then take up some of the laminate flooring, cut through the underlay to create a channel for the power cord, then bring the extension cable into the island and fix the power sockets of the extension cable underneath the counter. Then obviously put the flooring back in place

Sponsored Links
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely something to consider. Out of interest, is this something much easier to do than coming up through the floor?

easier to do than coming up through the floor?

Provided you can get access to the space underneath floor boards of the the room above the island then yes it is a lot easier than getting a cable safely across a solid floor.

If you get lucky then this might be possible

upload_2021-11-22_14-24-12.png

No. Not a solid floor. It's joists, floorboards, then underlay then laminate. Cheers

It needs someone brave hack a hole in the floor under the island to see exactly what can be done FIRST.

Remember there may be pipes and things below the floor.

A four or six inch square hole may be sufficient.

If you have a suspended floor then get a cheap endoscope (£25) that connects to your iPad/ phone.
Choose a suitable site inside the cabinet and drill
You could choose a size that is suited to one of those desk cable holes in order to be able to bung up the failed hole.

get a fibreglass screw together cable rod and see what happens

Yes, if there is a suspended timber floor, explore the possibility of running a twin and earth cable in the sub-floor void.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back