kitchen led lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're refitting our kitchen at the moment and have all the ceilings down so now seems the right time to consider the room lighting. I've done the 'many little torches in the ceiling' in the past and don't want to go there again. I really like the large led panels and was after some advice. Are they suitable for domestic kitchens? What 'colour' is best and what brightness? Would you also advise dimmable?

Cheers,

Anton

Sponsored Links
Aurora make some really nice fittings that are a cross between a 'downlight' and those big 600x600mm panels.

From memory they're about 200mm square or there's a round version too.

I would go with a cool white for your kitchen but the choice is yours

Something like this

Sponsored Links
colour 4000 always appear brighter and popular in retail and tend to just look like a hole in the ceiling letting daylight in.
colour 3000 are a warmer redder and less in your face light and tend to be favoured in domestic cfl type lamps.
most wholesalers will have both panel types on display lit up
At least if you get dimmable you have the option of reducing if too much light.

Yes they are suitable for kitchens.
Dimming - no. It's a kitchen, where dim lighting is of no use.
4000K or above.

It is so easy to get it wrong. My living room swapped from 10 x 8W CFL to 10 x 3W LED theroy said these should be dimmer dropping from 3500 lumen to 2800 lumen, but in reality the LED lamps are brighter.

When I started to look at lumen output LED verse fluorescent I realised it's down to individual lamps I have an 11W folded tube in my computer room which will give any LED a run for it's money and not even HF.

The problem is although lumen was designed to compare light output in the real world it has failed. Some test the bulb after being on 5 minuets others for example automotive after an hour, some measure the light output of a unit other the light output of each LED x number fitted in the unit. Also with LED when dimmed the colour temperature remains the same where with tungsten when dimmed they become redder.

Other countries went to CFL and LED before us, and they tend to split lights 1/3 and 2/3 so simple switching gives three levels of light. This also means the lamps are cheaper. There seems to be a move away from bulbs with LED because they are so long lasting. Also there are replacements for the fluorescent tube which are LED.

But the main problem seems to be the LED is a current dependent device and some method is required to limit the current. This can be a switched mode power supply or a simple resistor so the same base LED when used with a switched mode power supply is super efficient but with a resistor is worse than normal fluorescent.

So a pineapple lamp with 65 LED's could simply have a resistor to limit current where a lamp with 6 LED's (assuming 230 volt) would have to use a switch mode device. Some units give a voltage 150 ~ 250 clearly these are switch mode. Lights designed for caravans with a 10 ~ 30 volt range are clearly also switch mode, but many 12 volt lamps use a simple resistor.

The lamps are moving on with leaps and bounds and it's hard to keep pace with development. Personally I would stick to bulbs, so I can swap for different size if I get it wrong, and would avoid dim-able versions as these tend to be more expensive, instead wire 1/3 and 2/3 so two switches give 3 light outputs.

so it does, I didn't read that far.

I mean the choice is yours, 70W is A LOT of light from LEDs. You wouldn't really need more than one.

You're unlikely to be able to recess it, as your joist centres are gonna be around the 400mm mark (could be more, could be less). You MIGHT have 600mm centres but the gap won't be 600mm.

Joist centres are 400mm, so it will be surface mount, but you're right, its a lot of light. The room is 5m x 4m if that makes any difference

If it was me, I would go with more, smaller lights. If you go for say 4 20W fittings, you'll get a better spread of light.

Downlight's came about so you get light exactly where you wanted it - granted, you need a lot of them, but done well, they can light the entire room. With one single light source from the centre, you are always going to have shadows.

I would think about the shape of your kitchen cabinets, think about under cabinet lighting (over cabinet lighting too if you're feeling fancy), plinth lighting is an option but looks naff if done badly.

I also think a big fitting, 1200x600 in the middle of the ceiling is going to draw your attention, but not in a good way, no matter how nice it looks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back