kitchen light fitting - which way round?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a new light fitting for our kitchen - i'm not 100% sure where to put the live and neutral from the new light fitting. i know with a straight bulb fitting its not essential that they are the right way round but with this transformer i dont want to get it wrong.

Any help? i hope you can see the cabling ok in the pic....
KitchenWires.jpg

and the new light looks like.....

NewLight.jpg

any help will be greatfully recieved (especially if the help comes before is it gets dark!

Si,

Sponsored Links
cant see the pics.

can you explain in detail what wires you have coming from your ceiling?

sorry about that - the pics do appear occasionally - i had to refresh my browser a few times to get them to show...

basically the new fitting has red/black/green+yellow wires coming out of it

then the ceiling has the wires to the light bulb coming out of the to end terminals then (from left to right.. black,black,red,red,red,black) the wires to the existing light are just white so no clue there as to the way round...

ok, can see the pic now.
wire the brown wire from your new fitting into the black switch wire on its own on the right, this should also have some red id sleeving on it, then wire the blue wire from your fittng to the other two black wires on the left of the pic.
keep all your earths together, thats if your new fitting needs earthing, and keep the three red wires in the middle together aswell.
if you are not keeping the ceiling rose then wire as above into a jb or choc box and put the choc box in a suitable enclosure.
hope this helps.
p.s dont forget to isolate the power or the relevant circuit

Sponsored Links
just seen the pic of your new light fitting. wire as explained above but instead of brown to black on right this is now red, ad instead of blue to the other two blacks , this is now black. all earths together, and keep all reds together,
also it looks like you will have to ditch the ceiling rose to accomodate the new fitting, if so, then either use a jb or chock box for neccesary connections

You won't forget to tell the nice man at the council before you do this, will you....

Looks like NICEIC are no better at reading than many other people

[code:1]1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling
rose;

(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing
installation components, where the circuit
protective measures are unaffected;

(d) providing mechanical protection to an existing
fixed installation, where the circuit protective
measures and current carrying capacity of
conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal
insulation.

2. Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and

(c) consists of -

(i) adding light fittings and switches to an
existing circuit;

(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an
existing ring or radial circuit; or

(iii) installing or upgrading main or supplementary
equipotential bonding.

3. Work on -

(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the
purposes of communications, information technology,
signalling, control and similar purposes, where the
wiring is not in a special location;

(b) equipment associated with the wiring referred to in
sub-paragraph (a).
[/code:1]

See anything there that says that ELV lighting kits being installed in bathrooms are not notifiable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back