Kitchen lighting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

We're redecorating our kitchen and I wanted to pick your brains regarding lighting.

Previously, the whole room was lit by one 4' fluorescent strip light, with a 58w bulb. We're having the ceiling replaced, and for the moment we're just using a floor-standing uplighter with a 200w energy-saving halogen bulb (supposedly equivalent to 300w), which while not quite bright enough for long-term use, gives quite a cosy atmosphere and enough light if you're just making a brew or sat at the breakfast bar watching TV. This made us realise how bright the old strip light was - too bright and a bit clinical sometimes (depending on what you're doing, obviously).

So with a good opportunity now that the ceiling is down, we thought we would try and make the lighting scheme more flexible, so that we can have enough light as is needed for whatever it is we happen to be doing, rather than just one source of light either on or off as it was before.

Here's a rough layout of our kitchen:

The idea was to put downlighters* at the points marked by an X. The reason for the red line down the middle is to show that the lighting would be split into two zones. For some reason there is a light switch at both ends of our kitchen which could both turn the old strip light on or off. So I asked my cousin Ben (a sparky) if he could split it up and put the lights on the left side above the breakfast bar area on one switch, and the other three lights on the other switch - he said not a problem.

*I know downlighters don't always get a lot of love around here, but bear with me! The left zone of the kitchen doesn't really need a lot of light because all we do there is sit at the breakfast bar and watch TV, have a brew or eat a sarnie, so a couple of downlighters would probably suffice.

The right zone would need more light, which downlighters might not be able to manage alone, but we were thinking of getting a couple of small under-cabinet strip lights that we saw in ikea that gave off a great amount of light for their size. Here's a pic to show where they would be fitted (marked with an X):

Personally I think the combination of downlighters in conjunction with under-cabinet lights would provide more than enough light but wanted a second opinion. The other options would be to have the two downllighters in the left zone, but instead of the three downlighters in the right zone, maybe have one larger fluorescent light, something along these lines. Or maybe a couple of larger pl downlighters instead of three smaller ones.

I'm not set on anything really, just trying to be logical and find the right combination. Any feedback is welcomed.

P.S. does anyone have any experience of the Collingwood FireLED range? I think these would be perfect for the left zone, but don't know much about them.

Sponsored Links
I think you will be disappointed with the light output of downlights in your proposed configuration, compared to your old 58w fluorescent batten.

I'd say you'd need at least five fittings in the main area and three above the breakfast bar. Of course, that's 400w of lights replacing a 58w batten. While I'm not one of those who criticises downlights at every opportunity, this does seem like a bit of a step backwards. You might be better off with some PL fittings, as you rightly point out yourself.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I wasn't thinking of using halogen downlighters. No way!

Maybe the type that accept compact CFL's, or LED's like the Collingwood ones I linked to, but certainly not halogen.

I know what you're saying about it being a step backwards, but that is kind of the point - the old tube was too bright so a step backwards isn't a bad thing. I'm just trying to get enough light from a combination of lighting rather than one single source.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I wasn't thinking of using halogen downlighters. No way!

Maybe the type that accept compact CFL's, or LED's like the Collingwood ones I linked to, but certainly not halogen.

Fair enough. Well, all I can advise is that you stay away from GU10 CFLs. A friend fitted them in his kitchen - a mixture of 11w megaman and some unknown cheaper brand, as a bit of experiment to see if it would be worthwhile fitting the more expensive lamps to all fittings. Both are nowhere near as bright as the 50w halogen lamps they replaced, and the so-called warm white colour temperature is anything but.

The same chap also has retrofit GU10 LED lamps fitted in another room, and these are far more effective. Initial purchase price is high, but the light output is instant, and they are far brighter than their fluorescent counterparts.

The only downside is that you'll probably need double the amount of fittings with LEDs as you would with halogen lamps. Although the technology is rapidly improving, they still don't output as much light as the halogens.

Sponsored Links
there's some nice recessed lights that take PL lamps been shown somewhere on here..
you can get frosted glass fronts for them as well for a less harsh look..

you could always put a strip fluorescent on top of the cupboards to wash the ceiling for more light, and under cabinet lights for task lighting is always a good idea, you're not standing in your own shadow then..

You don't mean these ones, do you, chaps?

For some reason they don't seem to do a chrome trim for the 2x13w, yet they do for the 18w variations. :cry:

It's either a couple of those for the right zone, or one of these perhaps? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back