kitchen lighting dilema.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wifes changed her mind as usual and has decided we need lights in the display cupboards in our new kitchen and she would like to be able to switch them on independantly. I had already spurred off the ring to switched fused spurs in the 2 areas where we were just going to have undercabinet lighting and was going to simply daisy chain the lights together.The wires from the spurs and light fitting are long enough to get to the top of the cupboards. I thought of adding a 2 gang 2 way switch to the feed to switch the lives or two 2 pole switches to switch live and neutral which would in turn provide independant power supplies. Does this sound like a good plan or does anyone have any better ideas.

Sponsored Links
Use these ??

They have independent switching http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...hting/Linkable_Flourescent_Fitting/index.html

XLL20W.JPG

Sorry to disagree Chri5 but they are absolute rubbish, I would not recommend them to anyone

Why?

I've never used them, and I won't if you can qualify why they are 'absolute rubbish'- Would you please expand on your reasoning, ta.

Sponsored Links
similar ones worked ok for me under my wall cabinets, but in a display cabinet i think i would prefer spots,

Wouldn't you have to be 8ft tall to turn these on and off in the evening.? ;)

Sorry forgot to mention I already have the light fittings which are 6 x triangular 240v low energy and 4 x12v led with transformer. I think my idea is sound apart from is it ok to switch just the 2 live feeds using a 2 gang 2 way light switch which would be the neatest/ easier idea or should I use 2x 2 pole switches to switch both L and N.

Chri5 said:
Why?

I've never used them, and I won't if you can qualify why they are 'absolute rubbish'- Would you please expand on your reasoning, ta.
I have had them in our current kitchen for 4 years & gone through 3 sets of lamps & 4 out of 6 fittings, we have a mixture of these & halogen downlighters which have only had the odd lamp fail

jj4091 said:
Sorry to disagree Chri5 but they are absolute rubbish, I would not recommend them to anyone

I have to second that.

They go through tubes like no ones buisness, well for about 12 months anyway, then the internal electronics fail and the whole unit needs replacing.

We fitted loads a few years back for various customers, and have now replaced most of them with proper mini fluorescents (The sort with a ballast and starter.)

ColJack said:
I would use double pole on the transformer lights
Any specific reason or just personal choice. The 240v /12v transformer is feeding 4 led lights so a very low load so does the neutral need to be switched. The reason I would like to go with 2 gang 2 way light switch is I think it would look neater than 2x 2pole switches but of course I want to do it correctly.

just personal prefference, probably based off something I was told in a lecture that I don't recall.

I don't like leaving one side of a coil ( transformer ) connected if I can help it..

you can get 20A DP grid switches and put them in with the regular grid switches..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back