Kitchen lighting renewal help??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I’d like to renew some kitchen lighting in my house. Currently we have 3 switches which all switch a different bank of lights and id like to remove 1 bank completely and then install LED down lights in place of the other 2 lights.

Is it as simple as disconnect the 3rd switch and remove the circuit not needed then just connect 1 bank of lights to the switch wire from the old light and same with the other bank of lights?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For lights to work, you need a live and a neutral. There may not be a neutral at the switch, do you may need to wire the lights from elsewhere, or the existing light.

Each switch operates one light so if I remove these lights and replace with an LED spot light and then just loop to the rest of the LEDS (one bank of 6 and one bank of 4 on the other switch) that would work?

Sponsored Links
Not just the switch wire, obviously, but essentially, yes, it is a simple as connecting the new lights in place of the old ones.

What sort were the old ones, and how many? I think you should at least think about whether you'll be having to use 10 of the new lights because each of them is not very good at doing the job you want it to do, i.e. light up a room.

Downlights are not always a good way to light kitchens anyway, because you may get a lot of shadows.

There are better lights available - you can still have LED, you can still have recessed, but go for a smaller number of much larger ones.

Lastly, what is above the kitchen?

Last edited:
Each switch controls just 1 light @ban-all-sheds and the lights are similar to 2D fittings.

1 light and switch are being removed completely and the remaining 2 switches will control 6 lights and 4. We also have natural light from double patio doors and window of course.

I can see why you'd want shot of 2D type lights.

If you've really considered the pros'n'cons of an array of small recessed lights, and have decided to go for them, fine, but if you're just sleepwalking into that design because you think that's all there is, you might like to look further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back