Kitchen lights flash!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a new kitchen fitted 6 months ago. At the same time, the old ceiling light fitting was replaced by a new fitting consisting of four spot lamps. We also had three new striplights fitted under the wall units.

Everything had worked without a problem until tonight. Now, when I switch on the striplights they all light up for a split second and then go off. However, the MCB and RCD don't trip. This process repeats everytime I switch them off and then on again. The ceiling lights still work without any apparent problem.

The wiring is as shows in the attached diagram. The switch wire is three core 1.5mm.

What I've also noticed is that one or two of the bulbs in the ceiling spot lights don't seem last long.

Ceiling spot lights 4 x 40W (although only two have been working recently as the other bulbs have blown). The striplights are 24W each so 72W in total.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Located the problem . . . a faulty Volex light switch! It's obviously a mechanical problem in the internal switch mechanism as if you press the switch in more firmly then the lights come on.

Located the problem . . . a faulty Volex light switch! It's obviously a mechanical problem in the internal switch mechanism as if you press the switch in more firmly then the lights come on.
Did you check the connections were nice and tight? This could be the problem, that they werent tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back