Recommendations for kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Kitchen refit/rebuild has recently started and I'm looking at how best to light the room.

Main priority is the ceiling lights. I want some sort of recessed 'downlighter' style lights which will be going in a new vaulted ceiling alongside Velxu windows. Some of the lights will be 9ft or so in the air, so longevity of bulb will be a key consideration 'cos they'll be a pain to change! Also want something that runs off mains voltage without a transformer. Kitchen is 3m x 3m. Seen lots of talk about compact flourescent bulbs and LED bulbs, but would really like some recommendations.

The other thing I want is some under-cupboard lighting. To be honest I think this is largely aesthetic rather than functional, but again it is to be wired into the mains (could cut off the plug from all the plug-in ones??) and should have good bulb life. Reckon this could be an ideal location for LED? Seen quite a few LED striplights.

Any advice and recommendations on what I should be considering would be appreciated. Head chocker with CFL's, LED's, halogens, energy saving, link lights etc etc.

Many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
If you want recessed lights don't use 2" diameter ones - they aren't designed to provide room illumination. Go for something larger, for example:

If you've got a high ceiling, what about a cornice, or a dropped ceiling section with concealed cold-cathode lighting?

For under-cabinet lights slim linkable fluorescents such as these:

are ideal.

If you have downlighters you'll need the undercabinet lights (agree with BAS the fluorescents are the best - last longer and give better light than the others). Downlighters, especially the spotlight style, give a cone of light which leaves darker patches around the room, and in a kitchen you'll be casting your own shadow over the work area. The undecabinet lights give light directly down on to the work top where it's needed.

PJ

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back