Kitchen mixer tap - loose in Belfast sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Belfast sink with single mixer tap. Single hole.

I can see some sort of "surround" in the hole. But the main mixer tap sits on top and appears to be secure with a grub screw. Trouble is the hole/thread appears to be knackered.

Obviously, I can't just screw a normal screw in because there are water pipes running up through. I really don't want to screw in too far and puncture one of those.

At the moment I've got electrical tape wrapped around the base bit so that the main tap is jammed onto this but its not that secure.

Considering glueing it all together for now but not sure how I'd ever get it off in the future then.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to the top of the tap (where it swivels)or the securing thread bar below the counter ?

pics?

Are you referring to the top of the tap (where it swivels)or the securing thread bar below the counter ?

pics?

Where the base (non-swivel bit) is attached to the basin. I'll get pics...

Sponsored Links
Forgot to get pics....

Yes I think this is there. BUT, on top of these fittings there seems to be a "stub". This rises about 5 mm above the level of the sink. The main tap body then sits on top of this (slides over) and then is secured using a small grub screw that screws through the main tap into this stub and keeps it in place.

Not the best design. I can't see if the stub is knackered but the grub screw doesnt have anything to screw into by the looks any more.

Never seen anything like that , need pics, (main body has pipes in it so would not slide onto any base) .

I normally disconnect the waste underneath and pull the sink forward to gain access to the fixing to the tap.

Andy

If the thread in the tap base has stripped, then it can be drilled out and tapped to the next size up. It will be brass so no problems there - but the wall of the metal doesn't look too thick.
However, I'd consider a new tap, at the end of the day.
John :)

If the thread in the tap base has stripped, then it can be drilled out and tapped to the next size up. It will be brass so no problems there - but the wall of the metal doesn't look too thick.
However, I'd consider a new tap, at the end of the day.
John :)

Yeh the base bit is plastic. Thats the problem. The screw going is has nothing really to grip into any more......

Easy fit tap? lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back