Kitchen Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my current place in June last year and knew I would need to update the kitchen at some stage in then near future but didn't quite expect to do as much work as I ended up doing.

The boiler and pipework used to be in the kitchen and wasted a lot of space, we decided to move the boiler into the garage and relocate all the pipework, the old system was sh1t anyway.

Before

View media item 7989
When I started to remove the units I realised I had bitten off more than I first expected, under the wall paper was wood cladding, under than crumbly plaster. When I got to this stage I decided it was best to board out the room and the other half suggested to move the doorway so it was more inline with the front door.
The serving hatch into the dining room was also removed.
I would probably say the most complicated part was getting the doorframe square and fitting the door.

View media item 7990 View media item 7991 View media item 7992 View media item 7993 View media item 7994
As I took out more of the units part of the ceiling came down, some bodger had nicked the lead and replaced with some stick on cr@p in the past. We replaced most of the timber in the roof, a lot of cracked slates and fitted new lead flashing. The lintel above the back door was rotten and needed replacing as did the brickwork.

Couldn't get one of the legs to stay straight on the scaffolding at all.

View media item 7996
The kitchen came from ebay, around one year old, cost me £250 including the dishwasher, Newhome range and Rangemaster extractor. I was short of a few units to make a proper job of it but a local DIY place stocks these cabinet. Think they are manufactured by one of Vance Millers companys, I read a lot of bad things about him but I was reasonably impressed with the quality.

View media item 7998 View media item 7999 View media item 8000 View media item 8001 View media item 8002 View media item 8003
Anyhow, there it is, completed in various stages from November08-December08 by a 24 year old IT Manager, a bit of common sense and some research, got some little bits to finished off then paint when we decide on the colour.

Sponsored Links
Think you made a post about fitting straight runs, addressing a query I had on another project. Lovely to see your super results - enthuses me. I love the red tiles.

If fitting the new door frame was the hardest part, then I'm encouraged as I did that last year. Took me ages - had to build the frame behind the hole I knocked in the wall because of space problems, but it's been worth it. And it was thanks to guidance from diynot contributors

Funny thing about the tiles, We bought and tiled the kitchen, while putting all the tools back into the garage it dawned on me that I had tiled the kitchen in the same colour scheme as my drag car.

I've done it before without realising it too.

ifatfirst- seriously it was the worst part, was frustrating trying to make a square door in a room where none of the walls floors and ceilings are level.

Sponsored Links
always nice to see projects like this posted up. Nice work mate.

However.....those tiles........dude........seriously! :eek:

"Shudda gone to Specsavers!" :evil:

I apreciate the tiles probably aren't to most peoples taste, however me and the other half can't stand the neutral/magnolia show home look, a house is for living in and all that. Plus she is a teacher of art so a bit crazy with colour anyway, it comes with the territory.

c0b2e3bb.jpg

Im in the process of rebuilding it into a 2 door shell, 302Cui engine under the bonnet plus various other body and chassis modifications. I could go on all day but I wont ;)

P3290025.jpg

Nice job, and nice car. Great to see someone looking after the old cortina's.
My wife is also an Art teacher and I understand fully where you're coming from. Always full of new ideas and too creative by far! :LOL:

God i'd die if my wife was like that.
:eek: Actually, i think i'd if i had another wife :confused:

I actually do like your car though dude, whats the insides like? Original or 'pimped'?

Nah, the inside is fairly standard, bar a few extra gauges, rollcage and 4 point harness'

Impressive. No wonder you find fitting a kitchen a doddle! I got stuck changing my rear windscreen wiper.

Interested because sold my dad's little-used 1973 Cortina to an enthusiast in 2003. It had sat in the garage for about 15 years and the buyer and his mate got it going again within a couple of hours. Nice to know it lives on.

Sort of amber gold - like the one in the TV series, think it was Life on Mars. Bought by a chap from Merseyside, "Yosser??" He already had one same colour, think his was 2 door. Car about 29 years old when the photo was taken. Not too good at this photo uploading.

Moderators may chuck me off for deviating!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back