Kitchen refit (inc appliances) but no new circuits - part p?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, judging by the response part p based questions generate this may start a heated debate.

I am due to totally replace my kitchen on a like for like basis in terms of layout. This will include built in oven, gas hob, cooker hood, fridge, freezer and dishwasher. I have contacted the local authority building control office to ask if i need to notify. They said that i didn't as i won't be changing any of the circuit other than the units connected into it. I thought i had read somewhere here that new integrated appliances need to be notified. Can someone confirm that this is or isn't the case. I have asked for written confirmation that I do not need to notify.

To prempt the response that it depends if the appliance ratings will remain as before I have made a preliminary check before purchasing the appliances and the ratings will not change.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as the ratings were correct before, then you you don't need LABC approval.

Thanks for the very quick response

Now that i have established that it doesn't need notifying (i have checked the wire and breaker size and will double check again soon).

The kitchen was installed professionally by the previous owner in 2003 and wiring wise they did a good job. One aspect that does interest me is being able to isolate the appliances from above the counter top. Adding this i guess would be notifyable (or more likely i get someone else to do it proffessionally). I understand that this is not a legal requirement for new installations but is good practice. Would the person installing the FCUs (and cooker switch) need to put three in around the oven/ hob/ hood? One oven switch, one FCU for the hob ignition and one FCU for the hood. This would look a mess I think so i would prob. leave it as it is if this is the case. I might have answered my own question by saying that it is not a legal requirement and hence could pick an choose which appliances would get the switch above counter top.

I thought i had read somewhere here that new integrated appliances need to be notified. Can someone confirm that this is or isn't the case.
SCHEDULE 2B
DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE
OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED
1. Work consisting of—
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i) any new fixed cabling; or
(ii) a consumer unit

One question though - are you not having any new sockets, or different/extra/new lighting in this new kitchen?

Sponsored Links
the under cupboard lights are going to be changed and the ceiling light will be changed. I'll check in my BS7671 for the right safety zone for the ceiling light unit.

Also, i was going to change the plastic face plate sockets for stainless steel, other than that its all staying the same. None of this sounds like the shed 2b description kindly shown by b-a-s above.

I guess by the response above adding more fixed wiring for an oven switch and FCUs will make it notifyable which would then also mean a full rewire of the kitchen to the latest standards (how much has changed since 2003, i guess i can look that up myself).

the under cupboard lights are going to be changed and the ceiling light will be changed. I'll check in my BS7671 for the right safety zone for the ceiling light unit.
There are no zones in kitchens.

I guess by the response above adding more fixed wiring for an oven switch and FCUs will make it notifyable
Yes - adding switches and FCUs etc in a kitchen is notifiable.

which would then also mean a full rewire of the kitchen to the latest standards
Only the new work you do should comply.

(how much has changed since 2003, i guess i can look that up myself).
Only cable colours.

[Only cable colours.

32 pages just to change color - I dont think so LOL

there was a lot of clarification in the new version, things like fixed outside lights, CU changes and oven hobs were all better defined as notifiable or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back