Kitchen Restrictions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any restrictions on the locations of socket outlets in kitchens as I can't seem to see any in the current regs?

It's been a while but I'm sure I remember something years ago restricting the distance between a socket and a sink (2m?) - presumably to stop you dropping a live kettle in the water!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sockets should be suitable for their environment, and chosen and installed with due regard to the external influences to which they will be subjected.

There is no prescribed distance limit, but a widely observed ROT is 300mm from the edge of the sink or draining board.

Building regs recommend 300mm between an electrical outlet and a sink or hob.

The electrical regs are less precise. They just say that any equipment installed should be suited to its environment.

It's been a while but I'm sure I remember something years ago restricting the distance between a socket and a sink (2m?) - presumably to stop you dropping a live kettle in the water!

How many kettles have 2 metre cords?!?! :eek:

The longest I see is about 2 foot. But even then, most kettles are cordless nowadays so its impossible to drop a live kettle into the water (unless you purposefully hold the base to the kettle)

Sponsored Links
Building regs recommend 300mm between an electrical outlet and a sink or hob.

Hi Simon, can you tell me which regulation states that?

Not taking the P, but I didn't think this was anything other than a rule of thumb. I would be delighted if you could point me at a precise regulation or paragraph in an approved document (always learning).

The closest to an official endorsement of the 300mm ROT is in the electricians guide to the building regs. 5.2.2 iv (page 60)

Although there is no specific regulation to cite, it seems a reasonable guideline to follow.

Hi Rob,

That's as I understand it.

And I agree, it is a reasonable guideline to follow and has been around since before the EGTBR!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back