Kitchen to Office Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for a way forward. I am currently looking at converting my old kitchen into an office and need a heating solution, looks like a solid concrete floor so not much chance of being able to install a radiator in there without it becoming a real pain.

So, radiator is out.

Underfloor electric heating is possible but expensive (apparently) to run.

Can put in a oil radiator as these are reasonably cheap to run.

I will be putting in 70mm celotex on the inside which should keep the heat in as i have some left over from the extension.

I've seen a couple of wall mounted ceramic heaters which seem to have good reviews but i guess will be expensive to run too.

You can buy oil filled rads now which look like they just plug in, that might be a decent solution?

Not too sure which way to jump on this one

Sponsored Links
Quick note on this, existing floor is part tiled on top of tiles. I guess that when the house was originally built it was a coal store or a pantry or something (1930s). Would it be better to remove all of the tiles (both skins) and remove the concrete and joist it up to allow ventilation etc? or would this be overkill?

My concern is that the concrete might be causing damp in the floor which might destroy the floor boards?

simplest way as you suggest is use oil filled electric rads, cheap enough to run and just plug in to an existing socket, you do get infra red panel heaters , i have installed a few with mixed results, but they might be good in your situation if you have concerns of dampness as they heat the fabric of the building, and supposedly have certain health benefits, but I am not a salesman so havent a clue if true or not

lay something impermeable, like some vinyl flooring or a piece of plastic sheet, on the floor, and see if damp gathers under it after a few days

I have a feeling the concrete floor will be damp.

have a look at the walls to spot where the dpc is.

Sponsored Links
What i am going to do is remove the top layer of floor tiles. I believe that the kitchen itself is part floor boards part concrete. Once i have removed the tiles i will put some plastic down and see if there is any water after a couple of days.

I might take up one of the floor boards to see how thick the concrete is as if the floor is wet, i am guessing i will have to remove the concrete and replace with floor boards (not an impossible task but a massive pain)

When we say put some plastic down, does this need to be done once the tiles are removed? Guessing it does but i believe that underneath these there are more red tiles, would the plastic have to go underneath these?

Do you have an existing gas line for the cooler and exhaust vent? Look into a remote fluless stove.

Yes, flue less stoves. Looks great on my Zoom calls. Just needs a vent like the ones where the cooker hood exhaust fans out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back