Kitchen Unit - Pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My new kitchen is getting fitted as i write this. One problem has cropped up. One of the base units (carcass) is in a different colour to the rest. The kitchen shop says they would like go ahead fit the units, template/install the worktop and then swap it out when the replacement arrives. These are handle less units and the faulty unit has units on either side i.e. it is not a cornet unit.

Fiiter says that approach is not the right way to do. So confused any advice would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Providing the carcass isn't a sink base or corner unit or something requiri g heavy modification (say, to accommodate pipework extremes) it is normally possible for a competent fitter to swap out the unit later on. Carcasses are normally fixed through (screwed) to the adjacent units and to the top, but not always to the wall behind.

Don't screw the faulty one in place. Slide it in and wind the legs up until it wedges onto the worktop.

The shop has your money, and hopes that once your bodged kitchen is installed, you will forget about the error. Insist on a committed date.

If you are having a tiled or laminated floor laid after the kitchen is fitted, it will be harder to get the unit out.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the advice. It was a supply+fit order with a kitchen company(though the fitter is an idependent person engaged by the kitchen supplier). They are providing the replacement unit, just that it is 3 weeks away. The fitter looks to be on the ball and his advice was to wait for the replacement unit before fitting the worktop (chances of glue overspill, hand rail scratches) we will not remember the 3 week delay in the long run.

No issues with flooring though, its been tiled to the wall and kitchen fitting on top.

So i guess i will suck up the delay

I'm presuming with a 3 week lead time it could be a German Kitchen, nonetheless it isn't a problem, units can be swapped in and out in handleless kitchens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back