Kitchen / Utility into one ? * Pics Included *

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have recently moved into a property with a kitchen that has a dividing wall in it. The division makes a small coridor sized utility area which is utterly useless. I want to remove the wall and make the kitchen a larger open space.

The rub is that I dont know whether the wall is supporting.

This is what I do know about the wall.

There is a wooden beam that sits on top of the wall and runs its entire length (see pics)

Directly above the wall is a stud partition wall -( the only one in the house) which seperates my bathroom and toilet. Can i assume from this that the wall beneath is not load bearing ?

The wall is single breezeblock construction (and then plastered)

The wall I wish to remove is arrowed below.

P1060007.jpg

This pic shows the wooden joist/beam with all the cables pinned to it.

P1060010.jpg

And another showing the arch ( Nice! :eek: )

P1060008.jpg

Sponsored Links
ok my thoughts ;)

if the floor boards are parralell to the wall the joists may join on top
if the floor boards travel at right angles to each other either side off the stud wall then your wall will be load bearing

look in the attic above the stud wall and check theres no timbers transferring load from the roof to the stud wall

BoxCleva said:
Can i assume from this that the wall beneath is not load bearing ?

Never assume :!:

The wall might not be load bearing, but the joist probably is. You're gonna have to make some holes and poke about. Does the timber joist span from wall to wall?

If the upstairs partition wall is a more recent addition, then it might have been too heavy for the floor joists below, and therefore this wall may have been put in to 'prop it up'.

I take it that wooden ceiling is coming down, have a look behind that, it might give you more of a clue.

Most beams are put in for a reason, you'll probably find that there are joists sitting on yours. As big-all said check the floorboards.
It may be the case that the beam was original and the wall was built under it at a later date, you may be able to take out the wall and leave an exposed beam, depending on the soundness of the beam and what it's carrying.

Sponsored Links
Ok , perhaps a bit more info is required.

The house is 140 yrs old.

The floorboards upstairs are not parallel to the wall beneath , they are at right angles to it.

There is nothing obvious in the loft above which could be supported by the wall in question.

The joists (including the one sat on top of the wall) all sink into the rear house wall at one end and the dining room wall at the other. They do not span the whole length of the house.

Dunno how much help that is to be honest.

Thanks for your time guys :D [/b]

It may be the case that the beam was original and the wall was built under it at a later date

I am 99% positive that this is the case.

Would it be possible to remove part of the wall ? Along the yellow line I have marked in the piccy ? Its not clear from the picture , but this would leave approx 40% of the wall in tact. (About 4 feet).

Many thanks

wallcut.jpg

EDIT: This half I would remove is the half with the archway in it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back