kitchen waste but no outside wall

Right, if you have 2 ground floor WC's opposite each other as per you plan, you should be able to get away with one pipe serving both. Use a junction at the first WC, bringing the pipe from the branch up vertically to suit pan position, then continue to reach the second, coming up with a bend to meet WC position. (Imagine pipework looking like a large 'F' on its side.)

It's very unlikely either will ever block in the vertical section of drain, as long as the horizontal run can be rodded if necessary, all should be ok.

Sponsored Links
Right, if you have 2 ground floor WC's opposite each other as per you plan, you should be able to get away with one pipe serving both. Use a junction at the first WC, bringing the pipe from the branch up vertically to suit pan position, then continue to reach the second, coming up with a bend to meet WC position. (Imagine pipework looking like a large 'F' on its side.)

It's very unlikely either will ever block in the vertical section of drain, as long as the horizontal run can be rodded if necessary, all should be ok.

Ah yes I understand. And I believe that was my first solution (the middle drawing) - it was also possible to rod both ways with the middle design. But the building officer has told me to add stub stacks to that so that I can rod all parts (including verticals I guess he means). I rather redo the whole thing than have stub stacks.

I have lost 3700pounds (hand dug, 4 men, 6days) as the builders have already covered with soil, I told them to wait for inspector but they were in a rush - now I have to try and remove with a digger as I cant pay them another 3700pounds.

Perhaps another building officer might have agreed with you, this one no. As for the NHBC guidance it does not agree, so I have chosen that design. Sadly that design makes going trough the foundation harder as there are more pipes to go through the foundation.

Still waiting for a reply from the BO on the new design.

edit. I have now understood your F design. mmm, interesting. I will have to see what the inspector says.

I could cut a lot of digging with your design.

trouble is what will he say about the T in the first toilet. He might say it will splash down as it will not have a rest bend? The drop is only about 0.5m though.

Last edited:
Rest bends are only needed at the base of a stack, (due to the distance the waste has to fall from the first floor or above), the rule used to be provided the distance from the crown (top) of the WC Trap, to the invert, (bottom edge) of the drain, was a maximum of 1.3. metres, direct connection to the drain was allowed.

Your 'middle design' falls down as it shows a straight run through the house, with the 2 WC's connecting at an angle using junctions. Rejog that so the pipe runs straight under the first WC, picking that up, before going to the 2nd. BCO may accept that. Afraid there's a hard lesson there, do not backfill anything until BC have approved it.

Sponsored Links
Rest bends are only needed at the base of a stack, (due to the distance the waste has to fall from the first floor or above), the rule used to be provided the distance from the crown (top) of the WC Trap, to the invert, (bottom edge) of the drain, was a maximum of 1.3. metres, direct connection to the drain was allowed.

Your 'middle design' falls down as it shows a straight run through the house, with the 2 WC's connecting at an angle using junctions. Rejog that so the pipe runs straight under the first WC, picking that up, before going to the 2nd. BCO may accept that. Afraid there's a hard lesson there, do not backfill anything until BC have approved it.

Thanks for the reply Hugh Jaleak

Weather's good again I best get back to work.

BC control never got back to me about the revised plans, this was months back.

I tried to use your F design under the toilets.

Attachments

• new drain arrangement-permitted (2).pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 94

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back