Kitchen with undercounter white goods, what to do with top gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

so I'm fitting a rather small & cheap kitchen so I don't really want to fit kitchen doors to the appliances. The option is to go with freestanding Dishwasher, Washing Machine and Fridge. From doing freestanding units in the past you are usually left with a 8cmish gap above the appliance, this usually just ends up being a crapy storage area for letters or such and a dust collector.

Does anyone have any tricks in mind for using this space or I'm thinking maybe to block it up with a bit of extra door trim set back say 5cm from the edge? thoughts?

Sponsored Links
a strip of cornice or an off-cut of plinth, if you have it. Or a strip of matching worktop would fit in.

I used to have a space over a fridge, it got very dusty due to the warm air circulating.

If you can't find anything matching, glossy white will blend in with the appliance.

Sponsored Links
yeah I quite like both of these ideas. woulld be nice to run the bottom plinth all around and equally would be nice to have a draw so usable but not smeggy and dirty.

It'll only be smeggy if you put a Smeg fridge in there.

The gaps a penalty for not having an integrated or built in one ... everything has it's price, and you've paid with a 8mm gap :mrgreen:

That's only because built-in ones (e.g. ovens) have a shelf underneath.

Are there built-in washing machines? Good chipboard?

Back