Kitchen Worktop Overhang?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just putting the cabinets in and thinking about what overhang I should have say from the front of the doors to the front edge of the worktop?

The units are highline handleless, so I'm thinking of minimum overhang. The worktop are a 40mm laminate, small radius.

Is a 10mm overhang enough would you think?

handleless-kitchen-doors.jpg

Sponsored Links
i assume you mean drawer/door fronts +10mm so about 25-30mm in front off carcass and any metal trim on the drawer top surface ??

Yes you word it better than me! Allowing for 18mm for the door, that would be 28mm from the carcass = 10mm overhang.

Since posting this I have seen mention of 5-10mm on handleless doors. Our worktop has a 4mm radius so think using that I'd go to the 10mm.

Does that sound right?

Just nice to have another opinion:)

What’s the worktop dimensions? With 600mm your unit are usually 570mm which leaves 30mm overhang , doors 18-20mm leaves 10-12mm overhang.

Sponsored Links
Yes you word it better than me! Allowing for 18mm for the door, that would be 28mm from the carcass = 10mm overhang.

Since posting this I have seen mention of 5-10mm on handleless doors. Our worktop has a 4mm radius so think using that I'd go to the 10mm.

Does that sound right?

Just nice to have another opinion:)
your description is actually perfect' succinct and to the point its just my over active brain looks for further avenues just to check i understand as i often misunderstand and go off on a tangent :D

as foxhole says worktop size scribing ' back splash/tiles dictate the max/minimum size you have to play with but as he says fairly normal what you think

Last edited:
You need the worktop to overfly the handles as otherwise any spillages would potentially run inside the cabinets. Remember that the doors on kitchen hinges don't side dead tight to the front of the carcasses - there is always a 1.5 to 2mm gap meaning that for 18mm thick doors you need to allow 20mm + the 10mm overhang

Great, thanks all.

My wife is good with colours/design, etc but you are the best for the other stuff:)

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back