Kitchen worktop round a structural column

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a structural column 150x150mm that will sit in a kitchen Island. what is the best way to fit the worktop round this?

Thnaks

Sponsored Links
No way round it other than to cut the worktop in two and joint it. Far easier with solid surface work surfaces where the joint can be "disappeared". Doable with concrete and granite where there will be joints in the worktops in any case. Possible with solid wood where the joint can even be made into a feature (e.g. a walnut strip glued into the joint). Not nice with laminate, though. Leave a but of space for wiggle room around the steel and box it in afterwards by setting softwood soldiers into the webs of the RSJ and running vertical lathe to carry the plasterboard cladding, etc

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it would have to be joined I'm looking at a wooden top that can then be biscuit jointed? The steel is going to be painted with intumescent paint.

Unless you are after the industrial look I'd box it as well. Trying to get a perfect neat tight joint around it might be a bit difficult depending on access. BTW is it an RSJ or a box section? (I assumed RSJ, perhaps incorrectly). Dominos would give you a more rigid joint. Remember that with either Dominos or biscuits you will either need to have sash cramps long enough to pull up the joint whilst the glue sets and that end grain to end grain glue doesn't always make for a firm joint, or you will need to install "dogbone" fasteners (kitchen worktop fasteners) on the underside of the joint to pull it up, which means having clear access to them from beneath

Sponsored Links
Its box section, I have some sash clamps but not sure if i will need longer, thanks for information on fastners

sometimes clamps can be paired back to back if they use pins in holes
you just remove one sliding end turn the one on the second clamp backwards and bolt the 2 bar end together overlapping several holes iff possible
you may need to cut/grind off a restrictor that stops the clamp end sliding off and getting lost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back