Kitchen worktop wearing away underneath! - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a brand new kitchen installed from Wren 9 months ago, on the laminate countertop underneath the edge of the overhang, it seems the wood is breaking up, must be something to do with water. the area never gets overly wet as i just use a damp cloth to wipe down.

What is causing this and how do i fix it. Would wood filler help?

The cracks are not visible unless you look underneath the edge of the laminate overhand edge.

Attachments

• 20210205_163437.jpg
    20210205_163437.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 20210205_163541.jpg
    20210205_163541.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
Looks to me like some of the worktop broke while being cut and was edged in spite of that?
Maybe some epoxy brushed in to the voids then some PVA over any exposed bottom edge would help?
Normally a cut edge is sealed with PVA or varnish to prevent breakaway or water ingress

If the surface is exposed to steam, for example over a dishwasher, a kettle, or gets sponged clean, you need a moisture-proof coating.

PVA is water soluble so would not do.

thanks for ur replies. what is epoxy. is this a fault with wrens craftsmen ship? can u recommend a product by name to fix it. I'm not that diy savvy

Sponsored Links
it's not exposed to steam where it is so not sure what to do. I just want it to stop booking apart

PVA is water soluble so would not do.
Everbuild D4 Exterior Grade PVA (Toolstation, etv) is waterproof and is also a heck of a lot cheaper than epoxy! Also less messy to use than polyurethane (PU) glues like Gorilla in addition to cleaning up with a damp cloth (but you need to be quick as it sets fast)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused though I don't need glue I need to fill the cracks where the woods come away right?

Normally a cut edge is sealed with PVA or varnish to prevent breakaway or water ingress
The glue is used as a sealant for unsealed surfaces.

I'd probably fill the gaps with 2-pack car body filler

I would contact WREN and complain the kitchen is only 9 months old.

I would contact WREN and complain the kitchen is only 9 months old.

They could say it was done after its been fitted, but worth a try.
if you need to fill it, colourfill is better and if you can get a worktop reference you can get a colour match to it.

wren replied and said

Having reviewed this with our Quality Control team, we do believe this to be a factory issue from where the worktops have been cut, like you have described.

Our initiative would be to replace the worktops for you due to this issue, however I do appreciate that this may be considerable upheaval and the damage is out of sight. I would alternatively like to offer a 30% partial refund on the worktop .

I wasnt expecting this but I am glad what would you do, take the money and get some colorfill and DIY!??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back