Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, if I have a dishwasher on a circuit of its own with a fused spur above work top in kitchen to control dishwasher I'm looking a double socket next to it above work top can I just spur of the dishwasher fused spur into the new socket.

Sponsored Links
Unknown, many appliances use 20 amp isolation switches, to a single socket the limit is 13 amp so OK, to any more it could overload the switch.

We have fused spurs, unfused spurs, radials both 20 amp or under and 32 amp using 4 mm² cable, and the ring final we have no idea what you have.

Also any new addition must be RCD protected, so question can't be answered.

@East01 if the FCU is a spur from another ring final socket the no you can’t.

If the FCU is part of the ring then you could spur from the SUPPLY side of the FCU. Note that would mean 3 conductors in each of the supply terminals. A very difficult thing to do on a (single plate) FCU, even with a deep box.

Hi taylorwocities, thanks for your reply The fcu is on a 16a radial circuit on its own to supply a dishwasher so it's not on the ring at all so my question is could I not spur of the dishwasher radial circuit for 1 socket.

Sponsored Links
As long as all the cable is rated to match the breaker then a radial circuit can branch in whatever configuration you like. The "spur" rules do not apply.

However there are two things you should keep in mind.

1. You should not plan to overload circuits. If this was a dedicated socket for a low power appliance that would be one thing, but a kitchen countertop socket and a large white goods appliance on a circuit rated at only 16A doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas.
2. Any new sockets should be RCD protected. If the circuit is not already RCD protected then arragements will need to be made for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back