Knocking down a stud wall frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a house and have decided to put my mark on it.

In the top floor/attic I have a stud wall (i think) running up the side of the stairway, which was blocking a lot of light from the stairs and making it generally dingy.

Went at it with a hammer and it was just 2 sides of plasterboard over a timber frame.

I am a bit weary about knocking down the frame in case its holding up the ceiling. Had a builder around and he said that a supporting wall wouldnt have a timber frame and it should be ok to take out.

Now, i would rather do this myself than pay someone if its just a matter of pulling it apart, but anyones advice on this would be appreciated.

Attached a pic of the frame for reference

cheers

-j

Sponsored Links
Hiya
No one can knock your enthusiasm however are you aware of the building regs in connection with fire resistance and loft/attic rooms?
Have a quick look and see if it applies to you ie what is the room used for etc.
If you are all clear get a lump/club hammer and knock the bottom of the supports out then angle them out and twist and pull.
You can always cut them close to the top and bottom rails and then knock them out if you are not keeping the wood.
Good luck
Pete

squeakybadger said:
Hi,

Had a builder around and he said that a supporting wall wouldnt have a timber frame and it should be ok to take out.

I wouldnt take that as gospel.

I can refer you to a builder who used to trade on that one , untill he lost 2 floors of a hotel refurb at Westbeach Brighton

of corse a stud wall can be load bearing..

however that one doesn't look like it is from it's construction..

no nogins to spread the weight, and no doubling of timbers round and over the door frame..

a lot of new builds these days are timber frame internals with brick skins on the outside..

a 4 storey flat complex is being built near to my moms and is all timber frame with a brick skin.. I was surprised it can go that high..

after all, most of the houses built in america are wood frame..

the only reason we don't use it more over here is the great fire of london.. :eek:

I would definitely check with building regs re the fire protection..

was it double boarded? how heavy was the door you took off? do the stairs have a door at the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Robert too said:
squeakybadger said:
Hi,

Had a builder around and he said that a supporting wall wouldnt have a timber frame and it should be ok to take out.

I wouldnt take that as gospel.

I can refer you to a builder who used to trade on that one , untill he lost 2 floors of a hotel refurb at Westbeach Brighton

which hotel was that robert? he he and which builder???

With it being an loft conversion, then I would say it's just a stud wall and a none load bearing wall ( ie holding up ceiling joists ie collars which are normally 4x2 ) but just to make sure which way are the ceiling joists running ? I'm guessing the same way as your wall ( front to back not party wall to party wall or cable to gable ) Looking at the studs it looks like it was built when the house was built or not long after. If thats the case then I would imagine the whole conversion would not pass todays regs, so knocking down the wall not make much diff, the only diff would be to you, as in if your asleep up there and there was a fire then the smoke would fill the room quicker. And selling your house, you can't really class it as a bedroom, not in todays building regs anyway, but with it being the original or just about then you might get away with it.

ColJack said:
I would definitely check with building regs re the fire protection..

was it double boarded? how heavy was the door you took off? do the stairs have a door at the bottom?

Thanks for the replies.

The house is 100years old, so im not sure about the fire protection regs.

The door that i took of was in no way a fire door, very thin and didnt really fit into the frame.

The wall itself was just a single board of plaster on each side of the wall, no extra insulation inside.

The stairs lead out into the hallway as pictured here.

What would be the best course of action to get it removed?

Thanks

do yourself a favour and get a mains reciprocating saw, fit a metal blade and cut through the very ends of each stud at 90 degrees.
now you have left over some nice well seasoned reusable timber
:D
b.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back