Knocking in tree stakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't normally venture onto the gardening section but here goes.
I've got about 10 trees that need additional stakes (not my trees I might add). Can you knock the stakes in with a lump hammer or do I need a sledge hammer? Or even one of those post knocking tube type things with a handle on either side?

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Don't normally venture onto the gardening section but here goes.
I've got about 10 trees that need additional stakes (not my trees I might add). Can you knock the stakes in with a lump hammer or do I need a sledge hammer? Or even one of those post knocking tube type things with a handle on either side?

depends on how big the saplings are which will then determine how big a stake you will need.

what size of stake are you using? A club hammer should probably do. Most people knock them in vertically and tie the tree to them that way. The best way is to actually knock them in at a 45 degree angle into the prevailing wind. Use ties that can be adjusted and that wont rub. rabbit guards are aso a good idea as well.

there is also an argument that a tree will rely on them and will not be as strong as one thats not staked in.

Sponsored Links
Mr T of groundforce sai that is why they should be at 45 degrees to avoid what you said

The trees are (from what I remember) about 12ft high and are about 40mm in dia at the bottom. I think that normally they'd be ok without stakes, but where they're situated is extremely open and they get a battering. I like the idea of knocking them at 45° and pointing into the wind though.

make sure you loosen the ties every few months to stop them starngling the trees. I would remove the stakes sooner raher than later.

And never tie a tree to its stake near the top of the tree - it makes the tree grow into a weak specimen. Better to tie it nearer the ground, and the wind action actually helps it to grow much more strongly.

The only need for tree stakes is when planting trees grafted on a dwarf root stock because the roots aren't big enough to hold the tree upright.
For all other trees the use of stakes causes the tree to reply on them to hold firm. It is much better to grow the trees without stakes so they build up their own natural strength to withstand wind movements etc.
The only tree that ever moved was a dwarf stock apple tree that grew at a steep angle when the stake tie failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back