KVM switch problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using a usb KVM switch between my 2 desktop Pcs. Basically it's supposed to allow me to use the same monitor, keyboard and mouse between the 2 pcs.
So I hooked it all up as instructed but for whatever reason, when I switch it, only the monitor seems to switch over. That is the other PC comes up on screen but the keyboard and mouse don't work. How can I solve this?

Sponsored Links
Just bumping this one up again with a suggestion that might help somebody to help me solve it.

One of the computers has USB2.0 and the other is USB 1.1 I'm wondering would that be the problem? And perhaps if I connect my backwards compatible USB hub to the 1.1 then maybe it'll all work properly? Typically, I can't try it at the moment because I won't be home for a day or 2! Can anyone confirm if this is likely the reason and if they think this also might be the solution?

Thanks

Do both computers have PS2 sockets for keyboard and mouse?

If so try getting the USB to PS2 adaptors.

Not a bad idea, I'll try that too. Report back on all tomorrow or the next day. Any more suggestions welcome! :D

Sponsored Links
Just get the adaptors for the USB 1.1 computer and see how that goes.

Also, open a word doc on the USB 2.0 computer and set the pointer/cursor at the start of the typing area, then change to the other computer that the keyboard and mouse do not work on, and type some text. Then go back to the other computer and see if it was typed in the word doc. Just to prove whether the k/b and mouse are actually getting switched off the first computer.

And, do the usb k/b and mouse work when plugged into the older (USB1.1) computer in the same USB ports that you are plugging the KVM leads into? Are you using the rear USB ports on both computers? Because the front ports often have a reduced power supply to them.

dave

Dave, I can actually hear the usb disconnected noise when I switch over to the USB1-1 computer, and then I get a message saying USB device not recognised. But it doesn't seem to be the KVM switch as I had it replaced and the same thing was happening the previous one? I also tried making the USB1.1 PC the number 1 PC and the problem was still exactly the same, the K/B and mouse then only worked in computer 2. When I switch the the USB 2.0 PC, I then hear the USB connected noise.

Pretty sure there are those outputs on both PC's so lets hope that works. Might have the adapters too. If not then it's obviously gonna take a while before I can confirm that all is well! :)

Thanks Dave!

Ok then. Here are the things I have tried:

1. I have connected the USB cable from the KVM to the old style adapter PS/2 and connected it to the PC that wouldn't recognise the k/b and mouse. That changed nothing.
2. I tried connecting the USB cable from the KVM to a USB 2.0 port and then the port to the USB socket and that changed nothing.

Do I need to connect both USB cables from the KVM switch to each compter using 2 PS/2 adapters? Would that make a difference?

To confuse matters a little further, I just noticed that PC1 will work and accept both K/B and Mouse through the KVM switch in a USB 1.1 socket, and still PC2 won't.

Any thoughts?

Regarding 1.

Does the keyboard and mouse work on each computer using the USB/PS2 adaptors without going through the KVM switch?

"Do I need to connect both USB cables from the KVM switch to each compter using 2 PS/2 adapters? Would that make a difference? "

I don't think so.

Can I clarify that both computer have PS2 sockets for Mouse and Keyboard?
If so, change the KVM switch for a ATEN PS2 switch:
This is the one I use:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35394

Then get a new K/b and mouse with PS2 plugs on the end.

dave

Hi Dave. Yes the K/B and Mouse work in both computers without the KVM switch. Both computers have PS/2 sockets for K/B and Mouse.
Only problem being that I had previously used the PS/2 KVM switch and it had similar problems!!! What to do.

I guess it's time to face that it aint gonna work!

The one thing I can try to cling to is the fact that when I switch back to the PC that won't use the KVM switch I'm getting the USB device not recognised message. So, I'm thinking if I could solve that...

Anyway, thanks for all your help

You have covered most of the options available to you.

However, are you trying to mix a USB pc (no PS2) and a PS2 (non USB) pc on the same USB KVM?

If you are, then it is destined to fail due to the non USB pc having to "sense" the keyboard and mouse. You can use a PS2 switch on a second USB only pc by using a USB to PS2 converter, but not the other way.

I have been using USB to USB switches for a long time, and find that they work really well, however when you add a USB to PS2 converter, the mouse input tends to make the onscreen pointer "drift" all over the screen with no assistance required.

As most PC's now have USB on them, it doesn't matter if they are 1.1 or 2, a USB KVM "should" work straight out of the box.

Hi. What I have are 2 PCs. Both have plenty of USB ports and both have PS/2 sockets. The first thing I tried was basically just connecting to the USB ports. 1 of the PCs reports that an unrecognised USB device has been detected. In that PC the monitor has succesfully worked through the KVM switch but the keyboard and mouse don't. Everything works perfectly on the other PC.

So I am thinking if I have 2 x USB to PS/2 adapters, connect both adapters to the USB cables heading for each PC from the switch and hope that this works. I have my doubts though. In my opinion the problem must be with the PC. If I change the PC's over in the switch, like change the problematic PC over to PC1 in the switch, from it's current PC2 loation, it still won't recognise the USB device(switch). Both my PCs are running WIN XP, so it should be detected automatically? Maybe there's a way of getting drivers to help it but I just don't know.

Sponsored Links
Back