Label maker

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have been thinking about getting a label maker. initially this will be for labelling electrical switches and MCBs. Text, black on white. I will not be making very many so it does not need to be very fast.

I am very mean, so have been looking at Fleabay where there seem to be Dymo and Brother models, selling between about £10 and £200 :confused: and some which seem to be children's toys

I will want to use white plastic labels (not paper) for durability.

Can I just get the cheapest, or is there some other factor I should be taking into account?

Sponsored Links
John, At last, i've been waiting for this moment..... You gave me loads of advice last year about my decking project, so now it's time to repay the favour !! :)

I have a Dymo LetraTag - think thats how you spell it, it looks like a phazor from star trek :eek: - i shouldn't know that :!: :oops:

anyway, it's pretty basic, but does the job, the refil stickers are about £5, but does loads and loads, also available in loads of colours and material types (plastic/paper/metalic) etc, you can also do really small lettering. i think mine cost about £20 from staples a couple of years back, but they do a great job.

I use a Brother P-Touch 65 (about £20). It uses thermal vinyl tape.

It has a qwerty keyboard (some have an ABC layout) and lots of font sizes and layouts and borders - but only one or two are generally used.

Great for labeling electrical stuff, pipe, boxes, power tool plugs the lot.

Tapes are relatively expensive (between £8-10), but they do tend to give a lot of labels. it uses 9 and 12mm tape.

IMO, black text on yellow tape stands out more

Don't let the kids get hold of it though - you'll have no tape left and a 3m long label of nonsense

Sponsored Links
I have a p touch , very good, but i think its obsolete :cry:
how ever this looks like the updated version

I would avoid the desk top labeler, since most people already know what a desk top looks like

I would avoid the desk top labeler, since most people already know what a desk top looks like
I just ordered a Hand Labeller, I suppose I can mark them Left and Right.

Been mentioned on here a few times about feedback so just want to thank everyone for their replies on this topic.

Read it just at a time when I was thinking about getting a label maker for my recent DIY project.

Read the postings and decided to plump for the LectraTag.

Found one online on a sale deal for £14.95 and it also comes with a free roll of tape.

Should get it Monday//Tuesday.

So THANKS for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back