Potterton Suprima PCB "Not a known problem"???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. This is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading over the last few days, researching the problem with my CH & HW boiler - a Potterton Suprima 60. Need I say more? Yes, it has the intermittant lockout problem. Many thanks for all the advice & helpful tips.

I'm moving house soon so didn't want to spend an armand a leg buying a new board (although they are cheap(ish) on ebay at the mo. So I bit the bullet and took the existing PCB out to have a look for dry joints (having 1st turned the power & gas off). Removal is a very easy, 5 min job. Lo and behold I found 5 suspect dry joints which were easily fixable. All seems to be well so far! (Touchs wood).

There was a label stuck the metal frame the pcb mounts on which makes me very suspicious of Potterton's claim - as quoted elsewhere in this forum - that there is no known fault with this boiler pcb. The text on the label is

"For replacement pcb order 5102160. (Part) 407750 NOT to be used" (Their emphasis).

Now, for a manufacturer to even consider sticking that label inside one of their products, they A) must have considered it very likely that the pcb would develop a fault at some point (otherwise what's the point of going to the trouble of printing the labels), and B) to emphasise so boldly not to replace with a similar part, they must have known that the original 407750 pcb design was faulty on a systemic basis. If, as Potterton might contend, the replacement design was just an evolutionary update to the pcb, and that there is (in their words) "no known fault" with the 407750 original, then it would not be logical for them to feel the need to put the label warning there!

Class action against Potterton, anyone?

Sponsored Links
i hate to spoil your "Theory" but it is merely a safety aspect as the previous pcb 407750 had a cover over the reset button and the newer one 5102160 didnt so if you replaced it with the previous model there would be a hole with live components exposed where you would be putting your hand to reset the boiler :cool:

gazthepottertonengineer said:
i hate to spoil your "Theory" but it is merely a safety aspect as the previous pcb 407750 had a cover over the reset button and the newer one 5102160 didnt so if you replaced it with the previous model there would be a hole with live components exposed where you would be putting your hand to reset the boiler :cool:

Shame! Thanks for the info.

Its not a "Shame", whatever that is meant to be.

Potterton is, or rather was, as they effectly would have been closed down and were bought by Baxi for the name, a responsible manufactur who takes safety seriously.

Having said that, the design was, shall we say "not a success" and it has now been redesigned with an appropriate increase in price !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Its not a "Shame", whatever that is meant to be.

Potterton is, or rather was, as they effectly would have been closed down and were bought by Baxi for the name, a responsible manufactur who takes safety seriously.

Having said that, the design was, shall we say "not a success" and it has now been redesigned with an appropriate increase in price !

Tony

I think he means its a shame he couldn't prove potterton were knowingly selling boilers with faulty boards......but you knew that didn't you Tony :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back