Lack of support from the wife

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks. Here's the situation.

I like a bit of DIY, to save money and for my own enjoyment more than anything else. Everything i've done so far has turned out great, Tiling, replace skirting boards, renewing a lawn etc.

But when it comes to anything a bit more involved the wife won't wear it. It's actually starting to get to me a bit, it's like she has no confidence in me.

Perfect example was a loft ladder i fitted recently, she went off on one cos i wanted to do it myself. I just done it ayway and guess what, turned out great.

We're getting a kitchen fitted soon and the idea of shelling out £1000+ for fitting is doing my nut in.

I'd love to have a bash at it but bloody don't want to start an argument.

:rolleyes:

[edit] The word bloody gets starred out?? What's the world coming to.

Sponsored Links
Send her on a pampering weekend at a health spa type thingy, get a competent mate in, and get the bulk of it done. If you need longer then send her to Center Parks with one of her friends.

I agree with Softus

NEVER EVER EVER do anything int he house with the ol ball and chain around

they are the WORST customers you can have

Better still, you go on the pampering weekend and leave her to do the kitchen, might stop her moaning next time :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Right, take charge.
Give her a slaaapp and say: "Oi, woman. I'm doing this bloody kitchen now bog off shopping, and when you come back my dinner 'ad better be on the table"
~~ Women like men to be men ;)

Agreed. Everything you've mentioned is legal to do yourself, including a loft ladder, so go ahead and fill your boots and if you do it right, she's no right to complain. Just tell her if you got a pro in, it would come off her budget for shoes!

As a long-standing member of this site, however, , I feel the need to point out that if it involves electrics or gas, THAT'S when she can justify moaning at you. If you want to fit a kitchen, go ahead - but the electrics are subject to part P (stand back, here comes the barrage) so you need to be sure of what you're doing. Ask here if you need any advice, there are some hugely knowledgable bods who will tell you what you can and cannot do, and give guidance...

How about hiring the biggest stetson wearing, gun slinging cowboysky buildersky you can find, to do a one off job*. Then when he makes a right balls-up she'll turn to her favourite knight-in-shining-DIY-armour hero to put it right**.

*If it looks like he's doing a reasonable job, quickly bung him a score and emphasise that you want a bodge. Get Polish phrase book and learn "I'd like a balls-up please" off by heart. Although be aware it might not translate as you'd intended.

**...but if Handy Andy is busy you could always give Tommy Walsh a call.

but the electrics are subject to part P

Absolutely, wouldn't dream of doing my own electrics.

It's a tricky situation because the kitchen is so expensive.

I might let the kitchen go and do the loft myself becasue the loft materials are cheap. Then when the loft is all done i can say "told you so", whilst pushing her through the loft hatch. :LOL:

Steve,

hy not compromise with her. Tell her you'll hire someone for the electrics and gas, but you'll build and fit / hang the units, sort the plumbing and fit the doors and then you'll hire someone to do the worktops. Then you'll tile and finish.

Nice, easy and quick for you and doesn't cost a fortune.

Incidentally, this thread has just reminded me. I was doing a job for someone who was having a bathroom fitted by B&Q - I was staggered, I think I'll post it in a separate thread.

Regards

Fred

Deluks said:
Right, take charge.
Give her a slaaapp and say: "Oi, woman. I'm doing this b****y kitchen now bog off shopping, and when you come back my dinner 'ad better be on the table"
~~ Women like men to be men ;)
A man after my own heart. :D

are you bloody mad??????

Do you know how many blokes up and down the country get nagged to do diy, finish of this paint that, fit this, put up those etc etc. Most blokes would die to have a wife that wants to get someone in all the time...............Are you at work when she has all the workman in?? :LOL:

anyway must go, the wifes nagging me to finish plastering the ceiling, paint the walls, build a porch, assemble a flat pack.......

Sponsored Links
Back