lada fuel problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the rubbish insurance payout after my latest corsa was stolen, I can't buy a new car. Instead I'm trying to get my mums Lada Samara on the road. It's a 1500 N reg and has been stood in her garage for about 7 years!!!
Brakes haven't seized and its trying to start with a new battery but isn't firing unless I pour petrol straight into the carb. I've looked at the fuel pump and it doesn't seem to be pumping at all.
Before I pay out more of my insurance on a new fuel pump can anyone give me any ideas of what else it might be, and any other problems I might run into?
I think my husband is losing patience with my trying to get the car going!!
thanks
Sara

Sponsored Links
You are very brave Sara! I suspect if the car has stood that long that the fuel has congealed, probably in the carburetter, it leaves a sticky foul smelling resin like substance. You can check it the pump is working by taking the pipe off the carburettor and turning the engine over, if it pumps fuel out the the problem is in the carb. Washing it through with fresh petrol might do the job. I suspect that any petrol left in the tank won't be up to much either.

Peter

Echo of the above...the fuel pump should have a top secured with a screw - this is a filter. Take it off and see whats beneath.
Certainly don't try to start up with stale fuel....it has a strange sweetish smell, a bit like certain polishes.
John :)

thank you, the problem is petrol not getting to the fuel pump I think. There was no petrol in there so I put in 2 gallons. I took the top off the fuel pump and there was a thin film of resin that I cleaned off. I then disconnected the pipe to the fuel pump and tried to start it to see if petrol came through but nothing. I even tried a sink unblocking pump to see if I could draw fuel up to the fuel pump but no good.
My family think I'm daft, not brave!!
Sara

Sponsored Links
Take no notice of your family :D You have done all the right things so far so I suspect that there is a filter in the tank which is likely causing the problem, I don't know your particular car but on many it can be accessed form under the rear seat, you may find a cover that can be removed and the fuel level gauge and delivery pipe can be lifted from the tank, you will likely find a gauze strainer on the end.

Peter

Hi Sara, have you a sister? Cos I always wanted a .......... like you.

Seriously, you may not have enough petrol in the tank, is it showing on the gauge? Try taking off the pipe from the tank going to the lift pump and blowing back into the tank. A foot pump would be best for this. You should hear the air blowing through the liquid (petrol) in the tank. This will also clear any filter in the bottom of the tank.

Be careful pouring neat petrol down into the engine, always put the air filter lid back on before you try for a start. Its just safer.

Keep up the good work and take on heed of the family. Let us know how you get on.

PS you probably have a birthday coming up, or even for Valentines day if he asks you "what you want dear".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAYNES-MANUAL...es_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item562a6364e1

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks to everyone for advice and encouragement. I've tracked down a new fuel filter and will be trying all your suggestions tomorrow.
Sara
P.S my daughter is training to be a mechanic so I think it's the car they are taking the **** out of, more than my attempts. :D

P.S my daughter is training to be a mechanic so I think it's the car they are taking the **** out of, more than my attempts. :D

You didn't tell us you were "trade", thats altogether different. I'm checking the RyanAir flights as we speak.

Remember she's only training as a mechanic not a miracle worker!
:LOL:

I would imagine that there's a lot more issues than a non starter with this car and I wouldn't get carried away with its restoration - but 10/10 for effort.....heart like a lion, clearly.
John :)

I'm WELL impressed, with a girl doing things like this.
If women want equality......be equal.....there's nothing stopping you except physical strength!
GO GIRL!

Thought I should put in my twopennorth, just as a caution.
There may well be other problems with the car apart from fuel supply.
One I came across,..... when the vehicle had been left standing, was that when started, and an attempt was made to put it in gear, the clutch plate exploded because it had welded itself to the flywheel. (Sounds like you are past this stage though.)

The other obvious problem, will be tyres with 'flats' on the bottom, from standing. The car will drum like mad when driving, and the only way of treating the problem, is a fast drive that gets the tyres hot allowing them to reform. Think I'd be tempted to buy new tyres after 7 years though.

Good Luck.
Colin

Sponsored Links
Back