Ladder Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to post this in here but thought that this section would be better than TOOLS and MATERIALS (Mods - please move if feel the need to)

Anyhow, I have cast iron guttering which, despite the various options for keeping them clean, need clearing out regularly. I also want to paint them and rub down and re-paint all my cast iron external pipework.

I have a 2-storey semi.

I am looking to purchase a ladder which will be suitable for these purposes but I am somewhat confused about all the varying types. My questions are thus:

(a) What is the best ladder for domestic use? Two-section or 3-section? Any particular makes better??

(b) What is the usual method of ensuring that the ladder does not slip at the base other than having someone holding it?

I appreciate there are H&S rules about working at heights in a non-domestic environment but I am sure that use of a decent ladder for the purposes stated above will suffice in a domestic setting providing I ensure my personal safety. I can't believe anyone puts scaffolding up when they want to clean or paint the guttering.....

Your help/views will be appreciated as always.

Many Thanks.

B

Sponsored Links
Thanks freddymercurystwin.

I had searched and read a lot on here including those you linked to. Still a tad confused as to what would be best and, more importantly, how I ensure I am safe whilst using them.

I always recall the old public information film about the bloke up the ladder (or am I just showing my age here??)

B

A general rule-of-thumb regarding angle is 1 out from vertical for every 4 up(75 degrees)

The ladder should be OK on a dry solid surface but maybe place a bag of sand on the bottom as a little comforter.

If the ladder is on grass then a few jumps on the bottom rung will bed the feet in or you could make a board with nails in to make it non-slip.

Try out the ladders in the shop(no, not erecting them)to see if they are the right weight for you to carry. I prefer two section ladders.

Sponsored Links
I bought a 3 section only because it was shorter when collapsed & so fitted in the shed.
There other advantages ie you can use a 1 piece as a small ladder for low work, I think they are easier to handle.

Thanks terrypin.

Not really fussed about weight as it will only be used around the house and kept chained up in the garden.

Good advice regarding angle and propping up - thanks!

Will be buying online so won't have a chance to try it but will do some more research before I decide.

B

I am thinking of getting the ladder in the link below. Ignore the seller because I can get it cheaper from my usual place but it gives you the model.

My only issue is that the manufacturers website says it is only for infrequent occasional use.

Now that may well be just them indicating it's not suitable for daily use (e.g. trade) but I intend to use it for long spells ( e.g. a whole day spent painting)

I assume that is fine but I wanted to check!!

Thanks to all for your advice.

B

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lyte-diy-double-extension-domestic-ladder-15-rungs-max-height-8-03m/57715

It will do the job OK I expect.

The only problem is movement, personally I would never buy a ladder without seeing it first.

B&Q did a good range of tradesmen ladders at reasonable prices and very sturdy they are, I've had two sets for over 10 years and they are still good to use.

I use a ladder safety system with a climbing rope fixed to the top rung of the ladder, a ladder stand off, then the ladder is ratchet strapped to a closed hook drilled into the wall at about half a metre from the ground. Then I wear a harness with the climbing rope going through an auto fall arrester, then as I climb the ladder, if I were to slip off a rung, my harness would save me. When I'm at working height, I clip a strop from my harness to a rung.

Sounds a lot, but it's not really, but for use when up very high where a ladder will do. I core drilled a boiler flue up on the hight of a gable end this way, without this system, there was no way I was going up that high on a ladder.

I use a ladder safety system with a climbing rope fixed to the top rung of the ladder, a ladder stand off, then the ladder is ratchet strapped to a closed hook drilled into the wall at about half a metre from the ground. Then I wear a harness with the climbing rope going through an auto fall arrester, then as I climb the ladder, if I were to slip off a rung, my harness would save me. When I'm at working height, I clip a strop from my harness to a rung.

Sounds a lot, but it's not really, but for use when up very high where a ladder will do. I core drilled a boiler flue up on the hight of a gable end this way, without this system, there was no way I was going up that high on a ladder.

What if a tile hits you on the head :eek:

What if a tile hits you on the head :eek:

Then you say 'ooops'. Should wear a hard hat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back