Laminate floor - Where to start fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, here’s a tricky question to ponder. I’ve fitted lots of laminate before, but this project in my dads house is tricky. Photos attached.

I have purchased two colours from the same range. They are edge compatible but different widths and I was hoping to join colour 1 to colour 2 in the doorway to colour 1 to save having an interface.
I thought it would look really smart and seamless.

however, it’s not possible as far as I can see.
There are two problems.

1: I wanted to lay floor 2 with lengths facing the windows. (Based on internet advice)
I can’t do that as there is no full wall to start on. If I start laying each side of the sections of the left wall, they will never meet up. It’s a heavy floor, it’s not going to adjust. You can’t start in the middle as they won’t lay going backwards.

2: due to problem 1, I can’t have a seamless join at the bathroom door.

I think my only sensible option is to start colour 2 from the bottom and work up (horizontal planks) Then fit the bathroom floor on its own and have a cover strip in the doorway.

if anyone has any thoughts on a different approach, I would be grateful for any advice.

many thanks in advance,
Alex

0C29984C-8B73-46AC-ACE4-A8ABA80F2532.jpeg

3C2D1C4B-8371-431F-96CA-CAAFE6E34532.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Nothing stopping you doing what you want to do.

They only possibly tricky thing is that you would need to leave an edge exactly on the joint between the two rooms, which might mean your starting piece is very slim depending on the measurements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back