Laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am thinking of using laminate floor in a kitchen and bathroom.

I have never thought of this before, but was speaking with someone in Howdens and they said that they sell some sort of sealant that you use after installation.

You still have to use laminate specifically for kitchens and bathrooms though.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Laminate wood flooring is available for wet areas and designed as such.
Did a bathroom just before xmas with the stuff.

Lino or tiles will survive water damage, laminate is on a base of mdf which does not like moisture however well treated.Many people use it though and I suspect many will regret it.

Sponsored Links
Lino or tiles will survive water damage, laminate is on a base of mdf which does not like moisture however well treated.Many people use it though and I suspect many will regret it.
What about if you pva glue all the joints?

Used it in our kitchen & bathroom without any protection, but it did not stay down long enough to become damaged it was too dam cold on the feet. As others have said some type of cushion floor Lino. Although we put carpet made for the job in both situations.

Just use a laminate designed for kitchens and bathrooms like quickstep impressive. I recommend their thermolevel underlay - a bit more expensive than some but delivers a very solid feeling surface while at the same time providing VCL and ability to absorb small floor imperfections. I have used this in a bathroom with no issues.

In 2004 I laid some ordinary B&Q laminate in the kitchen of my previous house; it was Floormaster TileLoc for what it's worth and not sure if it's still available. I only used a thin underlay - Combilay brand IIRC, just 2mm thick, over concrete for half the large kitchen and over ply (12.5mm? I forget) over a suspended timber floor for the other half (which was originally a separate room). I only planned for it to last a maximum of five years. In the event it was still fine when the house was sold 15 years later. I always wiped up spills quickly though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back