Laminate flooring through doorway - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a Wickes laminate floor and am having trouble going through a doorway; on one side, I've cut away the frame / architrave to allow board to slip underneath (not that easy as clipping together of lengths requires a 30 degree 'clip' angle prior to flattening) but how do I now lay the length of board at the other side of the doorway to ensure that the board follows the profile of the door frame and that there are no gaps?

Sponsored Links
You are bound to have a gap along the length of the room you have just entered through the doorway. Had you used a uniclic floor this wouldn't be a problem.
You need to cut the doorway all round or on both sides for the floor to look right, unfortunately you have picked the wrong floor. it's about time wickes, B&Q and floors2go stopped selling this crap.

Sorry i can't offer any help.

Thanks Mac

But how would Uniclic (I don't know what it is) solve the problem of being unable to make a good tight fit around the profile of the other side of the door frame? (Am I being thick?!)

Hi hemel,

No your not thick lol, just caught up in the DIY laminate world!!
uniclic will slide in forwards, backwards and sideways on the flat, making these problems much easier. It only comes via quickstep, BHK and pergo.

You might get away with using the clips on the long length and adhesive on the short end if you catch my drift, difficult to say without seeing where you're at..

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
you need an expansion gap allthe way round including door frames where you need to undercut
to fit you remove the bottom tounge glue and slide together

you should also fit an expansion gap under a threshold stip at each door
otherwise they become pinch points

There's a useful detailed guide to laying laminate in doorways here.

Especially if you haven't splashed out on Uniloc and bought your laminate from one of the DIY stores.

Many thanks Pewit; a bit late for my problem at the time but the link has been really useful for future jobs. Shame about The Ashes, eh?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back