Laminate Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay laminate flooring, I have read how to do this, and find conflicting information on the direction to lay the boards, The first direction I read about was laying the laminate across the original boards, (this seemed to make sense to me on grounds of strength & removing irregularities), then I read to lay it going along the longest wall. Does it really make a difference or is it purely aesthetic?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I did. Was just a jest :evil:

Welcome to the forum. Not been here long myself.

I would have said that they are less likely to move if laid perpendicular to the floorboards.

Slightly less waste with the latter from staggering boards, but I would go with the former method.

It doesn't matter which way your floorboards run as to which way the laminate is laid but as a rule it is best laid at 90 degrees to your main window. This is because the light will then follow the length of the boards as opposed to running across all the joints and believe me it does look much better the first way.

Sponsored Links
everyone has made very excellent points and all are correct I would guess. I laid laminate in an entrance hall that then followed open plan to a lounge but laid with the longside against the wall as it was a long wall and the entrance hall was much shorter and the planks would have looked silly unstaggered down an entrance hall.

it depends on the situ.

just my pennies worth
regards

ps have fun its a rewarding job just dont leave too small an expansion gap and if you are mounting skirting on top of it leave another gap so the skirting doesnt stop the laminate expanding under the skirting weight.

I used my electric mitre saw to cut the lenghs it was quik and because of the direction of the blade left a nice clean and straight cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back