Laminate Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fit laminate flooring in an upstairs room with a concrete floor. I've never fitted laminate before but I'm a competent DIYer. I do however have a few questions to make sure I'm doing the best possible job!

1) Do I need a damp proof membrane? I understand this is recommended for new or refurbished premises with concrete floors, is it required on a floor which has been in place for 25 years? If so, is an underlay with integrated DPM recommended or separate?

2) The floor is relatively level (i.e. not bad enough to justify levelling) but in places it is slightly off i.e. it might drop by 2-3mm over a couple of feet in places. I also want the sound insulation to be as good as possible. I was thinking of fitting 5-6mm fibreboard underlay as I understand this will "bed in" over time to take out minor imperfections and is relatively good at sound insulation. Is this the most suitable stuff to use or something else?

3) I'm looking at bevelled wood effect plank laminate. What's the best technique for fitting this to get the best (most genuine) appearance? A lot of laminate fitting instructions state to use the offcut from the last row to start the next row (so long as it overlaps by enough - how much is enough?). Is this to reduce waste or is it to give randomised overlaps? Is this the best approach or would I be best staggering by a fixed amount? 1/2 board? 1/3 board?

4) I'll be fitting scotia rather than replacing my skirting boards, as I have plumbing in places which means replacing the skirting isn't feasible. Where a wall is longer than a single length, is it best joining this like coving, i.e. cut a 45 degree angle on both lengths rather than butting up the two ends? What's the best way of finishing the scotia off where it needs to stop for doorways etc?

I think that's all for now :D thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
I realise this is an old question but I think the questions are still valid for anyone in a similar situation. So my personal viewpoints are:-

1 - Damp proof membranes are indeed recommended for concrete floors but this was written by people who assumed concrete floors would be at ground level. If you have a rising damp issue at the 1st floor (or above) then this is going to be from your external walls and a damp proof membrane on your floor would have little effect.
2 - 5-6mm fibreboard underlay or equivalent thickness XPS underlay should be fine to accommodate small imperfections and I would recommend these anyway for a decent result. If the floor is sloping (even slightly) then so will the underlay along with the laminate floor. Therefore I can only suggest applying a floor levelling compound (if this sounds like it is getting outside your area of diy expertise, self-levelling compounds are remarkably easy to use).
3 - Typically between a third and up to (but not including) a half is deemed as norm - but use your gut feel whilst you're laying - if it doesn't feel right, then you may need to review the ratios.
4 - colour matched scotia is a great way to finish off the room and can look so much more modern than traditional skirting board. Scotia tends to come in 2 metre lengths (also 2.4m) so there will be occasions where a join is required. Personally I would go for the 45 degree angle option for any joins - would be happy to hear from others how they did this.

regards,

As posted on another thread, if it is a flat, check the conditions in the tenancy agreement or lease.

A friend has laminate in her flat (concrete floors) and no problem
I have laminate in my upstairs bedroom (wooden floor) and it sounds like I am hammering if I walk in shoes up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back