Laminate threshold gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying laminate in my living room and also in my hallway
the living room is 4 metres wide and the hall 2 metres
Do I need to leave a gap at the door threshold between the two and fit a threshold bar
Or can I continue the flooring between the two rooms without a gap
I am using the same laminate in both rooms

Sponsored Links
The best look would to keep it flowing all the way through you will then not have no raised thresholds.

The only consideration is if you have an issue in one area then you may have to pull it all up, if you have a threshold you can then just attend to the one room.

I would go without the threshold.

Good Luck

The best look would to keep it flowing all the way through you will then not have no raised thresholds.

The only consideration is if you have an issue in one area then you may have to pull it all up, if you have a threshold you can then just attend to the one room.

I would go without the threshold.

Good Luck

I would agree with Floorsave no threshold looks far better

Sponsored Links
Technically you must have a threshold, the product instructions will specify one for such an area.

Wether you choose to fit one is up to you. You can always fit one afterwards if you need to, so you may decide to risk it and see how things go. At the minimum, you will need to undercut the door frame properly so as to ensure maximum opportunity for the floor to expand through this area should it need to.

Technically you must have a threshold, the product instructions will specify one for such an area.

Hi crazydaze
Manufactures recommend an expansion joint between rooms under a door they do not insist on it
I agree that the door frame would have to be undercut to allow floor to travel under it
Good quality laminate flooring requires an expansion joint every 8m to 13m both width wise and length wise, depending on the brand of floor as this room is 4m and hall is 2m I could not see a problem there.

Of all the laminate flooring companies and products I have dealt with over the years, all would recommend a bar. The doorway will always be the weak point in the installation and if the temperature and humidity either side if the doorway in both areas varies enough, the floor will expand and contract at different rates. If the area is effectively open plan, there is less likely to be an issue.

The fact is that there should be a bar fitted, BUT many, many people would fit without a bar and there is every chance there will not be an issue. IF there is an issue, then a bar can always be fitted after the initial installation but if course there will be a degree in inconvineance.

I think it most important that the OP is aware of the pitfalls of fitting through this area in the event if an issue occurring. It would be wrong if anyone to say 'yeah just fit without a bar' when it's against the likely recommendations of the manufacturer and the OP isn't aware of the possible consequences of doing such.

Thank you all your replies
I think I will fit a threshold bar to be on the safe side

Thank you all your replies
I think I will fit a threshold bar to be on the safe side

your welcome
Just take your time plan ahead
laminate flooring is easy to install best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back