laminate underlay - second layer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're putting an interlocking solid wood floor down on the ground floor of our house, which has a slightly uneven concrete base (slight slope, and differing levels). We've bought the floor already and it came with some papery-fibre-y tiles (600mm sq green things) to be used as underlay, but I'm concerned about damp (no evidence of it yet though) and was considering the idea of putting a roll of foil- type (which is moisture resistant) underlay down on top of the concrete then putting the greeny tiles on top of that.

I've still not figured out how to level the subfloor, it'll either be self-levelling screed or OSB/plywood, or both.

Other posts on here suggest too much underlay would make for a springy floor, but these tiles look quite un-squashy.

Foil underlay like this: comfort silver wood laminate underlay

Fibre-y stuff like this:
Xylo accoustic underlay

Am I asking for trouble with the 2 layer approach, or would the benefits of damp-proofing plus additional heat insulation make it worth the extra 20quid for the foil-y stuff?

Sponsored Links
A levelling screed and DPM underlay is all you realy need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back