Laminate vs Engineered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

We are having new flooring in our hallway, kitchen and utility area. One quote for this was around £1,300 for Quickstep laminate, and about £1,800 for engineered.

I'm leaning towards the engineered thinking it's basically a real wood surface so I can sand and re finish if I want, and can also spot repair, plus it's real wood, which I feel will look superior.

The only benefit I can see for laminate besides cost is that if stuff is dropped it won't 'dent' like engineered, but I'm not sure how valid this claim is.

We're a family of three, a couple and a 1 year old...

In addition, all these places say they do the floor only, we'd have to pop off the skirting and apply new skirting (which we want to replace, as it's crap)... I've always attached skirting when I've been able to brace it with bits of wood and screws into the floorboards. Obviously I can't do that here, so how do I 'clamp' it to the (occasionally) uneven walls?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Neither suitable for a kitchen and a one year old (until potty trained ).

I’d be going quickstep Impressive laminate myself as has water proof surface.
But LVT would be the better choice like Karndean.

Sponsored Links
Neither suitable for a kitchen and a one year old (until potty trained ).

We've got quickstep eligna throughout the house including the kitchen and it's been no problems at all. We've got 2 kids and I laid the floors 4 years ago just before our eldest was born and if anything it's great when they're not potty trained as it cleans really easily. Sure I saw somewhere that engineered is easily stained but I could be wrong there

A bad leak will cause real damage, we had £100,000 worth of damage after a simple dishwasher leak in the office, followed by similar a year later when the AC leaked.

Damage to an engineered floor I take it as opposed laminate.

I guess I'm finding it hard to get over the draw of *real* wood though, I just loves the stuff I do.

I am planning to put laminate in my new kitchen. Hoping to get boards at around £12/m, about £260 in all.
I could replace that 4 times for the cost of Karndean.
Maybe I will regret that choice after 10 years though.

How hard is it to put down vinyl sheet? Quote for supply and fitting was £1000.
Can buy it for about £250 ...

I did consider doing it myself but it's just time, it would probably take me about 8-10 weekends or more with other commitments, which doesn't really work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back