Laminated Shower wall panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm having my bathroom refurbished. Instead of having tiles on the shower walls, I'm going to have 10mm laminated wall panels large enough so there will be no vertical joints (other than the corners etc.

See here for what I mean.

Since taking the old tiles down will destroy the substrate they are currently on, instead of replacing them with the cement based boards there, can I just use ordinary plasterboard instead? And if I can, then do they need to be skimmed?

Finally, sorry for this being a duplicate thread to one I put in the plumbing section. Not really sure where was best.

Sponsored Links
Excellent choice to use panels.....I use multiPANEL and the results are terrific - maybe check them out?
Anyway, the secret is in the installation. If the panels are fixed correctly and silicone applied where necessary it doesn't matter what's behind. I would however recommend a cement based board such as Wickes Aquapanel. It doesn't stop any leaks, obviously, but can get wet without deteriorating.
John :)

Thanks John. What I like about your suggestion is that there are local suppliers who have displays as well as samples. Much easier to deal with. Also, being laminated onto ply will help make things quicker too.

The metal trims are top notch too. The sheets are pretty heavy to handle and are fixed with grab adhesive. I'd recommend finding someone familiar with the product though as great accuracy is needed before cutting. I recall the sheets were around the 150 quid mark so mistakes are expensive! Hope the project goes well.

Sponsored Links
The metal trims are top notch too. The sheets are pretty heavy to handle and are fixed with grab adhesive. I'd recommend finding someone familiar with the product though as great accuracy is needed before cutting. I recall the sheets were around the 150 quid mark so mistakes are expensive! Hope the project goes well.
Thanks.

Measure twice, cut once, swear thrice. Then repeat:mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back